Bloody eyes and red dots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please help if you can.

I have a 35 gallon, heavily planted, with four Edlers and two small angelfish (hoping to breed them).

The striped angel has bloody eyes:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462647529.925817.jpg

And the koi angel has red dots on top of her body.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462647561.091853.jpg

Water parameters are perfect: 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrites, 10ppm Nitrates. I do large water changes twice a week since I'm already doing my other tanks which are heavily stocked.

These just appeared. The fish are eating and acting normally. Going to do a large water change now since I doubt it would hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

PS. Fully cycled tank. It's been running about a year and was fishless cycled first.

Hi jessepanda,

Thanks for asking. I've had them four-five months. Noticed the eyes last night and the dots today. No unusual behavior. Eating voraciously as usual. Active swimming. Threatening me from their side of the glass.

Well, that sounds like good news. It's possible that since they're young, they may just be showing true colors coming through. As they mature, as well as get comfortable in their new surroundings, they can change colors or show patterns not previously seen. A different diet could potentially create situations like these. It's hard to tell from the pics, but that may be what you're seeing. I'd recommend keeping a close eye on them for any changes in behavior or fecal abnormalities, as well as any further visual changes. Also, keep a close eye on your parameters for the next week or two. It's possible your tank may be having some ammonia spikes as ammonia burn can also cause red patches on fish. If you haven't already, check your tap water for ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines. Some pool shops will do this for you if you don't have the tests at home.

Back
Top Bottom