Blown up platty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avcc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone can help, my platty has swollen up alot and it looks like the scales are sticking out. Anyone seen this before or does anyone know what is wrong with him?
Thank you in advanced for any help.

Attachments

• image-1264655841.jpg
    image-1264655841.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2661133248.jpg
    image-2661133248.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-531981574.jpg
    image-531981574.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 78
Yeah they are lol, that's a pretty good discription. Do you know what it is?

Looks like Dropsy and your fish has pine coned due to the fluids in its abdomen. I have never experienced it myself I'm not sure if there is a treatment for it but until a member who knows more about it gives you some advice you can google Dropsy and find out more.. :( Sorry I can't help more.

Jana

Not too sure what the treatment is, there is some but I read on AA that once you can tell it has it, it's too late :( sorry for not been much help

All I have ever read is that if the symtoms are that far along its too late......sorry.

Don't know what extremes your willing to take for your fish but I've read that sometimes penicillin can help, and sometimes a salt bath will help draw out some of the fluid. Try moving this thread to the unhealthy fish topic you might get more answers

Moved to Freshwater - Unhealthy Fish.

Unfortunately, dropsy is almost always fatal once it progresses to this point. The fluid builds up under the skin as a result of several different issues including intestinal blockage, kidney failure, and bacterial infections.

I suggest doing an epsom salt bath as suggested. You can try an antibiotic like furan 2.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm already expecting to lose him. So I take it I need to use aquarium salt? Thanks again :)

Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate)- aquarium salt will make the fluid retention worse. Unfortunately, once a fish has pineconed, your options for treatment are limited & prognosis is very poor. I am sorry :(

Sorry if I'm being thick but where do I get Epsom
Salt from? Is that sold in fish shops or do I get it from some where else. I probably won't be able to save this fish but if I ever notice it again, now I know what it is, I'll have the salt there ready for treatment :)
Thank you :)

Anywhere really. Walmart, grocery store, pharmacy...I've always found it near first aid type things

Back
Top Bottom