blue acara won't eat - what else might tempt him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My boyfriend has a small collection of NW cichlids in a 50gal tank. Recently, the nitrate levels in the tap water spiked (nearly 40ppm), though I think it was several weeks before he caught it. Consequently, the nitrate levels in his tank were 40+. Everybody seems fine, except the blue acara who wasn't eating or swimming much. Moved him over to my tank, where the nitrate levels were staying below 10 (0 ammonia & nitrite, water temp 77-79), hoping he would improve but so far most of what little food he does inhale is quickly spit out.

So far I've offered frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Omega sinking pellets, Tetra Crisps, and Hakari Carnivore pellets. I know spitting out food is a pretty bad sign and he likely won't recover, but can anyone recommend another food that might tempt him?

I think I remember hearing something about garlic and fish. Is there a special fish-type of garlic juice or do I use the liquid from a jar of diced / chopped garlic?
He actually ate a few bloodworms tonight, not much for a fish his size but better than nothing.

If I remember right you can use the juice from either, and soak the food it in. I think it was either blueiz or dkpate that posted about it a few times. I'm sure you can google it too.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I think he ate a bit last night, or at least took a while nibbling on a carnivore pellet, so I'm going to wait awhile and hopefully he'll have a better appetite, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom