Blue Lobster Molted, now Missing? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albino Sick Led

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently my blue freshwater lobster molted, or so i thought, and i am not able to find him anywhere. I currently house him in a 55-gal long tank with Cichlids, two young bichirs, two plecos, snails, a red crayfish, and two chinese algae eaters.This would have been his fourth time molting since i bough him as a baby at a LFS about 3 months ago. This would have been the first time he molted after adding another crayfish and the two bichirs. What baffles me is that he was walking around the tank just fine aproximately 1 hour before he molted his shell out. Nobody messes with him in the tank, he easily out-muscles anything in the tank. Not even the newly introduced bichirs and small red crayfish are a match for him.I left my house and came back about 2 hours after he started molting and found his shell floating, the only difference this time was that i saw the WHOLE shell floating, his pinchers and upper thorax is usually all i've noticed that comes off, but i notice that his WHOLE shell, including tail came off. I know for a fact it was not my lobsters dead body, it was just the outter shell part that was floating, i took it out of the water just to make sure. The problem is i cannot find him ANYWHERE in my tank. There are no hiding spots that i have not looked in. the tank is rather open with rocks and many plants around it, but i have not left one stone unturned, so to speak. There are a couple of things i think could have happened, and i only believe this because i can not find him anywhere...

Something i forgot to add, there are currently two black convicts that mated in my tank and have been protecting their young very aggressively....

my thoughts on what could possibly have happened.

1. He was hurt when he molted and eaten?
2. He is hiding somewhere under the gravel, although i really doubt it
3. He escaped out of my tank, but he has never even gotten close to escaping, only thing that he might have possibly used for this was it was my water heater.

I'm hoping that someone has had a similar experience, or heard of something like this that could shoot some advice my way please. At this point i really do believe he's gone. What a shame because he definitely was a main attribute to my aquarium, one of my favorites.

Here is a picture of him recently, he's gotten bigger since then, and with this molt he would have look full grown size. I'm providing a picture of my tank currently as well, viewable in my album as well.

Attachments

• aq1.jpg
    aq1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 167
  • aq2.jpg
    aq2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 206
Sometimes fish disappears and just reappears. Do look behind the tank and around any openings to be safe.

Keep us posted.

I have an eclipse he's an amazing hider even when I took all decorations out I couldn't find him finally couple months later I totally fergot bout him he swam out he was like 7in bigger so don't worry might be in gravel hiding

I hate to say this but the cichlids probably ate it. The only time they seem to mess with crayfish is when they molten. Many people have said the same words you said and then after a few months gone

Thanks guys, I still haven't found him. Ill give it a couple of weeks before I get another one. Just in case he decides to how up later.

The same thing happened to me when I had my lobster (I also had some aggressive and semi-aggressive fish in the tank with him) AND my roommate who also had one (with some sharks and catfish) and they both turned up in good time. I never found out where he was hiding. Mine was only missing for 5 days, hers was gone for over a month before she found it again.
Lobsters are fantastic little houdinis. However, it could be gone. :[

Hope he turns up!

Update: my red crayfish which I mentioned in the first post molted today. Now I I have no idea where she is. I know they're not escaping the tank. The shell is still in the tank and she is NOWHERE to be found. I know it's a female because my blue crayfish mate with her within 5-10 minutes of introducing her to the tank. I have no idea how it where it is hiding. This gives me hope that my blue may still be alive though.

Back
Top Bottom