Blue Ram Sick, NEED HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amatsu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone, I am new around here and really need your help!!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Blue Ram Cichlid

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrates - 0ppm
Temp - 81F
PH - 8.4
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

15 Gallon, 3 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Tetra Model T1

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

9 Cardinal Tetra, 9 Amano Shrimp, 1 Blue Ram Cichlid

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

2 Days ago. Once per week, 20% approximately. This is enough to keep my A/N/N at 0ppm consistently.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

1 month

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Added medication to treat fish with dropsy (Neon Tetra, died) and my other blue ram which died yesterday (had fin rot, didn't eat, died). Used paraguard and melafix

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

North Fin Community food.

One week ago one of my cardinal tetras became ill with dropsy. I was treating my other blue ram with Melafix for fin rot it sustained from injury, so just continued this treatment, but unfortunately it died. 3 Days ago the blue ram with fin rot started acting strangely, staying near the bottom and very inactive, and did not eat. It died today and I could see no other lesions aside from the fin rot.

This same time my other cichlid developed a white growth on its head. I have been treating the tank with paraguard, but I am not quite sure what exactly is wrong. Please help if you can, I really would not like anymore fish to die :( Behaviourally it is acting a bit strange, it seems more excited than usual. It is still eating just fine. The white spot in the picture looks flat, but when it first started developing it looked a bit fuzzy. Now it looks more depressed.

If you need more pictures, let me know. PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• 20140909_170908.jpg
    20140909_170908.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20140909_170912.jpg
    20140909_170912.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20140909_170919.jpg
    20140909_170919.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 105
Your tank was slightly overstocked to begin with, and the two rams may have injured themselves because they in all likelihood were both males. What test kit are you using?

The disease looks to be hole in head. Which is caused by nutrient deficiency, and poor water quality what food are you feeding?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for responding fish dude. I'm using API freshwater master kit. You are correct. My LFS told me they were a male and female but I quickly learned they were two males.

I also thought it might be hole in head, but it looks a bit fuzzy. Water quality should be really good, I am also using seachem 'the bag' with biofiltration, and check quality often.

Food is north fin community, tiny sinking pellet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was a bit worried about overstock and took the LFS advice. I haven't found a good resource for stocking fish, if you know of any I'd appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I checked out that website, and found it very helpful, thank you. Apparently my current filter is not sufficient for the bioload that I have, so I will be upgrading to a 30gal AquaClear ASAP. That will be more than I need, so it should help with the water quality.

Is there any other changes you would recommend so as to avoid my fish getting sick/helping this one live? The food I purchased was recommended by the store as being very good for both my tetras and cichlids.

I'd feed garlic food, and do daily water changes. Glad to help

I do not think it's hole in the head. I've never had to deal with disease because my LFS quarantines before any of the fish go up for sale. So not sure what you can do. Keep your water quality good and the fish should come back.

I had HITH one time with my angels and that's exactly what it looked like no fuzzieness but that could be a secondary fungal infection...

Thanks for the reply. My LFS does quarantine all their fish which is good. I will do the daily water changes for sure, that is a good tip. Hopefully with a new filter he should bounce back. He certainly is not behaving like there is a problem, so at least there is that. Did your angel make it fishdude?

Back
Top Bottom