BN pleco help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just put in my new BN pleco. But apparently I didn't know that you shouldn't use a net for them as their spikes get stuck in the net..... I learned that the hard way. I eneded up cutting the net then pulling the net to then free the pleco. It took about 5 mintues. At first I thought it was stubborn so I shook the net around, but then I realized that was bad, and that she was stuck.....now that I removed her and she's in the tank, she is at the bottem, breathing hard and not moving. What can I do to reduce the stress? Or is it too late?

She still hasn't moved. I don't see any scars yet. I'm worried for her.

I'm no expert but a week after I bought my very first BN it got completely shredded in an artificial plant. I'm talking absolutely no tail fin or left side, even a massive scratch across it's face. But with a few weeks of 20% water changes every two days and a tiny pinch of sea salt (not table salt!) my BN is all fine. I hope you have the same luck!
Hopefully someone more experienced can elaborate....

Edit: also mine looked very stressed after the incident but just hid under my drift wood for a couple of days, I kept the lights off as well for 2 days to let it just rest...not sure if that really did anything.

Jmurray17 said:
I'm no expert but a week after I bought my very first BN it got completely shredded in an artificial plant. I'm talking absolutely no tail fin or left side, even a massive scratch across it's face. But with a few weeks of 20% water changes every two days and a tiny pinch of sea salt (not table salt!) my BN is all fine. I hope you have the same luck!
Hopefully someone more experienced can elaborate....

Thanks for the input. She started to move a few inches. Her breathing has slowed down quite a bit. I covered the tank with a towel to darken it.

Well my fingers are crossed for you, when mine got stuck I rushed to my LFS so worried, but they all told me that they are pretty hardy and will be okay, so hope this makes you feel slightly better!

Jmurray17 said:
Well my fingers are crossed for you, when mine got stuck I rushed to my LFS so worried, but they all told me that they are pretty hardy and will be okay, so hope this makes you feel slightly better!

I checked back and she is now swimming all over. I assume thats good.

Shell be ok just give her time to adjust. Remember to add driftwood and suplement with vegies

reefdiver said:
Shell be ok just give her time to adjust. Remember to add driftwood and suplement with vegies

Just wondering, what type of driftwood is best that doesn't leak much tanin? I have a tank with all this tanin and I hate the look. Also, is cucumber a good veggie?

I didn't boil any of my DW, but I have noticed that I get a lot more tannins with my mopani than I do with my malaysian. The mopani is worth the tannins though, because it's a really beautiful wood.

Back
Top Bottom