Bolivian ram not normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 male(I believe) Bolivian rams. I came in this evening to feed and found one of them sitting on the bottom. This particular one is/was the dominate of the two. It now looks like he has some sort of war wound. He is very sluggish, fins are clamped and breathing is very slow. Is it possible the other less dominate male is trying to take over? The first 2pics are the ram in question and the final pic is my other ram for comparison. Look at the red spot in the middle of the fish. If I had another tank to move him to, then I would, but I don't. thanks.

Attachments

• image-2684277054.jpg
    image-2684277054.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 166
  • image-439085214.jpg
    image-439085214.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3903087942.jpg
    image-3903087942.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 114
To me the one that is injured is a male. The 2nd looks female. It's very hard to tell without seeing the vent protruding near the anal fin. Also the dorsal fin has 2 black spines while the 1st ram which i believe is male has 3 black spines. If you look at your rams near the anal fin if there's a little knob like thing that's the vent that distinguishes male to female

But in regards to battle wounds could it be something internal? Keep up with clean water and I would treat for internal parasites just to be on the safe side. Other then hiding how is his behavior?

I agree that the hurt one looks male and the second one looks female.
I am sorry he is injured. My best advice is to keep the water clean and hope for the best. I don't know of anything else can really do. If somebody else has a better idea, I am sure they will chime in.

What other fish are in your tank? I recall having problems with my long fin blue danios having red bulges in their bellies. Could never figure it out but I suspected domination. Also if only having two rams one male one female it could be that he tried pairing with her and she walloped him. I have two rams one if each gender and they don't seem to be pairing up from what I've seen but they tolerate one another.

Sorry if I don't make complete sense I'm doing this on an ipod touch while wearing a sleep apnea apparatus.

I forgot to ask if you have any caves for them?

Chronos313 said:
What other fish are in your tank? I recall having problems with my long fin blue danios having red bulges in their bellies. Could never figure it out but I suspected domination. Also if only having two rams one male one female it could be that he tried pairing with her and she walloped him. I have two rams one if each gender and they don't seem to be pairing up from what I've seen but they tolerate one another.

Really!! You guys think they are a male/female, so maybe I do have a pair:) so far this morning he/she is still alive. But in the same spot as last night. If I recall, both have small nubs near their vents, I'm not real good at sexing fish this way. My other stock are: 8 Blackskirt tetras, peacefull, 4 black kulhi loacles, 1clown Pleco and a number of ghost shrimp. Yes, they don't really get along , they just kind of acknowledge the other one. the tank does have plenty of cover.

Today he(?) is getting back to normal. Swimming around and his color is back. I'm glad I didn't start to medicate the tank. IMO, I think he(?) just got whopped up on.

Back
Top Bottom