Bolivian Ram - tattered fins and on the floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is a recent re-build of my tank (set up in January 2016). I added a few fish every weekend in Jan and Feb and have currently the fish that are in my signature. I have not added any fish in March

Since I am setting up the plants and don't have many in the tank right now, I got a case of green algae. So I turned off the light during weekend as well as did not add any fish food Friday, Saturday and Sunday

As I was feeding today, I noticed my one Bolivian Ram had a tattered tail and fins and was on the floor not able to swim very well. This Ram has been hiding a lot lately and had picked a favorite hiding spot behind a rock. Since he looked healthy, I did not give too much in to that. The tiger barbs have not bothered the rams since they are in a large number themselves, and the Rams have hold up pretty well against them in the past, if they tried to swipe at the Rams. The Blue Rams are smaller than the Bolivian and don't bother each other. The Rainbow shark gets along fine with everyone.

What could be going on with my Ram ? I just did a 30% water change. I have a feeling the barbs may have swiped on him since there was no food for the last 3 days. Or it is a injury or disease? For what it is worth, I have plenty of hiding places in the tank, just not enough plants yet. Please advice.

Hello, any luck with a recovery? I have noticed more aggression if I don't feed daily as well.

Separating to a breeder net might help for the injured fish? I'll use two nets with a gap if the fish is on the net as I've found they don't get picked on through the net so much.

Back
Top Bottom