Breathing heavily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got two new german blue rams today and I did a three hour acclimation. Both after I relased them both were breathing very heavily! Now (after 4 hours) one has stopped but the other still is. What do I do?????

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Ph 6.8
Tank mates
Pleco
8 neon tetras
2 guppies
And the 2 rams

Do you have an airstone or bubbler? If not lower the water level a bit to increase bubbling in the water. Sometimes that is all that it is.

Do you have an airstone or bubbler? If not lower the water level a bit to increase bubbling in the water. Sometimes that is all that it is.

Yes I do I'll do that now

They are probably just nervous. Leave the lights off for a day.

I woke up to find him dead under a plant with his brother guarding his grave. Thank you any ways they are fragile fish.

I tried to have German blue rams once and they all died after 5 days.... Don't know what it is?

They're incredibly sensitive, and sometimes just the move from the lfs to the home aquarium is enough to do it. It is also possible he may have had issues prior to you purchasing him which was exacerbated by the stress of the move. Sounds like he was just overwhelmed, since his friend was doing fine. I'm sorry for your loss :( perhaps your lfs will replace it?

I gave the other one back as I feel I am not experienced enough to care for those delicate fish and I got a pair of dwarfs

I gave the other one back as I feel I am not experienced enough to care for those delicate fish and I got a pair of dwarfs

How long was your tank established? I'm pretty amateur when it comes to the aquarium hobby, but I've managed to keep my pair pretty comfortable. I won't lie, though, I did lose another pair in the process of learning. I got a bought of ich, which led to one female's death and dropsy from stress in the other male. A well established tank with healthy fish shouldn't cause problems. My tank isn't even planted, haha

Back
Top Bottom