Bristle Nose Fry help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesbay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so I had a 20 gal full of Bristle Nose Fry that all died except for like 5 at this point. The majority died from a crazy nitrite spike that I am still not totally sure how happened. But needless to say the water quality is now perfect and for some reason they still are dying just at a slower rate. I am feeding them cucumber and squash. They appear to be eating but maybe some of them are not. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Or how that spike might of happened? Thanks

What else is in the tank? Are they in with the parents or larger ones? If left in with the parents, they will just gradually disappear until only a few are left.

Are they eating all the food? Sounds like either the Nitrite spike damaged them or they are starving. Try a chunk of Zucchini. Put it in in the evening before lights out and replace the next evening so they always have something to munch on.

What else is in the tank? Are they in with the parents or larger ones? If left in with the parents, they will just gradually disappear until only a few are left.

Are they eating all the food? Sounds like either the Nitrite spike damaged them or they are starving. Try a chunk of Zucchini. Put it in in the evening before lights out and replace the next evening so they always have something to munch on.
They are in a bare bottom 20 gallon and it's just them in the tank I separated them from the male once they used up there egg sack. I've been feeding them and replace once they eat all or most of the cucumber or squash. One person told me they need some wood and/or some good hiding places. I also thought that maybe that I should be feeding them a pleco food instead of the cucumber.

Mine do real good with Zucchini. I stopped feeding cucumber because I thought it got soft and mushy too quickly. I've tried other stuff but they seem to like the Zucchini best.

As long as they are getting enough to eat I don't think there is much else you can do. I suspect they were damaged by the nitrite spike. Be sure the filter is cycled. Fresh vegetables are the best food for them so I don't think pleco food would be any better.

Wood and hiding places can't hurt. I usually have a potted plant or two in with mine and they like to hang around by the pots. They might feel more comfortable with something to get behind or under.

Mine do real good with Zucchini. I stopped feeding cucumber because I thought it got soft and mushy too quickly. I've tried other stuff but they seem to like the Zucchini best.

As long as they are getting enough to eat I don't think there is much else you can do. I suspect they were damaged by the nitrite spike. Be sure the filter is cycled. Fresh vegetables are the best food for them so I don't think pleco food would be any better.

Wood and hiding places can't hurt. I usually have a potted plant or two in with mine and they like to hang around by the pots. They might feel more comfortable with something to get behind or under.
Alright thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom