Bristle nose pleco have made sacs???? Help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angiieee1588

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I went away for a night and came home to see one of two of my plecos has made sacs but I don't think they are eggs since it looks like there food in the middle? They are spread out throughout there tank. They are the only ones in the tank I've had them for about 6 months I wasn't trying to breed just turned out that way. (If they are eggs) my partner is convinced I am not. I recently upgraded my tank for them could it be anything to do with that? Though since the sacs have been there the two are in the same cave (the males cave) which is unusual please help? nowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405386478.103220.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405386478.103220.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405386478.103220.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 91
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405386585.614142.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405386585.614142.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 91
It could be algae. I've had clear/white coating on uneaten food and new driftwood in the past.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why are covered like that do you know?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's gelatinous mold on rotten organics. Definitely not produced by fish. Maybe rotten fish food...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I see thing like that inside my filter media when I don't rinse it for 6+ months (due to low bioload).

My crayfish likes to hide food in his caves. Im usually siphoning stuff like that out of its tank on a weekly basis.

+1. My blue crawfish is notorious for that also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the crayfish really hoarding the food or does the food just settle in the cave due to low turbulence? I've never seen crayfish hoarding behavior after years of keeping them, but then again I'm learning something new every day.

Crayfish are not normally cave dwellers so it would not make sense for it to horde. If given a choice between a cave and basking out in the sun, it will bask in the sun with one eye above water and one eye below water. They spend their leisure time this way, not defending a cave...

Listen man... I dont know what to tell you. Before I purchased a crayfish I did my own research. It was suggested in that research that I provide a cave for the crayfish. It was also suggested that I periodically check said cave for uneaten food that the crayfish may have tucked away.

I provided a couple caves. The crayfish spends most of its time in or around them. As it is indoors, basking in the sun is not an option for it.

As suggested, I check the caves for uneaten food and I in fact find uneaten food. Whether that food was put there by the crayfish or it just happens to settle there on its own I honestly can not say. Quite frankly, how it gets there isn't all that important to me. However, I am glad that somebody somewhere mentioned to check for it.

I feel we've answered the OPs question about what was found in their aquarium and that we've hijacked their thread long enough.
I'm moving on.

Well put. Sorry OP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom