Bristlenose pooping white!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoreFin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,
I’m a bit confused as my bristlenose is pooing white... constantly! He was added to the tank a while ago and all the levels are fine. The only difference is that I added a white rock at the start of the week and he hasn’t stayed away from it.
Could it just be that he keeps eating the rock due to it’s chalky, soft texture? Thinking maybe I need to remove the rock.

I have a gourami, upside down catfish and a few rummies in the tank. They all seem to be fine.

TIA - GoreFin

Attachments

• AF022B10-0CED-4247-9999-6E7526A8E6F7.jpg
    AF022B10-0CED-4247-9999-6E7526A8E6F7.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 107
Haven't heard of that one before. I suppose it's possible that your bristlenose could be scraping particles from the unknown type white rock. The only white rock soft enough to peel I've seen is Tufa-Limestone. It's sold at my LFS.
I doubt that it will poison your Pleco but if it is Tufa-Limestone it will likely raise your PH and harden the water. Regular WC's will lessen the potential parameter changes.

I’m definitely a bit worried as it’s causing a real mess - as seen in the photo.
It’s unlikely my pleco has a parasite or worm so I’ll remove the rock. Thanks!

Haven't heard of that one before. I suppose it's possible that your bristlenose could be scraping particles from the unknown type white rock. The only white rock soft enough to peel I've seen is Tufa-Limestone. It's sold at my LFS.

I doubt that it will poison your Pleco but if it is Tufa-Limestone it will likely raise your PH and harden the water. Regular WC's will lessen the potential parameter changes.

So I’ve removed the rock and all is back to normal. Must have been the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom