Broke Jaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I always do a count, and before bed looked at everyone last night because I was checking for Ich spot, 3 days no other spots! Anywho, this morning checking everyone I notice a Platy fry, she seems to have a broken jaw or won't close her mouth. At first I thought maybe some food? But I netted her, and she didn't spit anything out but did close her mouth. When she is in the water it looks like she has a horn coming out of her chin. When I net her, the horn is her bottom lip.
Should I see how she goes or is this a death sentence? I certainly don't want her to starve or suffer, I don't know what to do. I also don't know how it happened:(.

If its a fry, then looking in her mouth likely is not an option here. I have only seen fish do this when they swallowed something they should not have (ie, pebble/rock) and the item is essentially choking them or lodged in the beginning of their digestive tract. Even with a big fish, trying to remove a stuck item can be very difficult and tricky. I have also seen this happen in a fish that got its mouth stuck to an intake tube- it recovered without incident in two days. I would take a wait and see approach for right now and see what happens.

Happened over night? I mean I looked everyone over gill to tail EVERY night for the last 12 days. I know each scale by now. I am just not sure if the broken jaw is her time. I fed her just now. I might have to put her down, because she is in all nano tank, but her sister will get bigger than her and I was wondering if it would regrow? Looks like she stabbed herself on something.

Wait and see. Either she will recover on her own or she wont. If you notice she is unable to eat after a few days or so, then euthanasia should be considered because she will starve fairly quickly if she is unable to eat (unlike an adult fish). Good luck!

Makes me made, because I have my intake covered. I have live and plastic plants for cover and pretty much all nano tank. Because I wanted no body to chase, annoy, pester, eat other ones. Where my fry could be free, and grow up well. I don't know what or who is doing it!

Neon Tetra
Glowlights tetra
Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasboras)
Cories
1 Dorky Betta Elephant Ear That can't swim because mom has the filter turned up
1 RCS Red cherry shrimp soon to be more

Who done it?

Some fish I bought with my 75 gallon got it. One of the Black Neons ended up looking like he was stuck with his mouth open and had swollen gills. I assumed the ICH was in the gills. He died not long after he looked that way. Not sure if that is what could be happening here.

Good Luck!

If your fish does not eat after a few days, I would suggest euthanasia. Sorry about the problems.

I'll try feeding and watching. I think she'll be okay. I hope its not Ich of the gills, I am treating for Ich right now but have not seen a spot in 3 days. I actually took her out of the water. It looks like her mouth is closed, but the V portion of her mouth remains open. The V portion is the what is highlighted.

Ps Sorry about the fishing pic, She is too small for me to take an actual pic, so this is the best I could do. So imagine her mouth closed but the highlight portion still hangs open.

Attachments

• fish mouthhighlight.jpg
    fish mouthhighlight.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 407
Its truly broken and she can't eat. I fed today and she can't work her jaw. Tomorrow will be her last morning, in my tank till she goes to the great beyond. she still has her weight on her, I am unsure though she can heal from this. If I could put a bandage on her lip, I would but she is too small for me to even try. You think I could use a liquid human bandage on her? Would it even work because she's wet?

I honestly don't know if this would work. The liquid bandage products I have tried on myself in past had to be applied to dried area then had to dry before it could get wet. Reminded me of clear nail polish. Can't hurt to try though.

I think I will just let her be. If it gets too bad, its only 20 minutes and then forever peace.

I don't know how it happened, it really bugs me. I have covers in the inatke, no sharp plants, All nano tank? :(

Back
Top Bottom