Bronze Cory flipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 8 corys in my community 55g. All water params are good... nitrate 5, amm 0, nitrite 0, ph 7.2, gh 8 drops to green (middling for fw)
one of my panda corys was "flipping" a week ago when I introduced it... swimming browsing the bottom like normal - but every so often jerking in a turn counterclockwise as if something had pricked it - then going back to browsing. I just watched him and he seems ok after a day or two, but my bronze cory Georgette is doing it now for the first time.. everything else seems fine with her - skin looks ok etc ... any idea what this is and should I be worried?
And yes, I know I should have quarantined longer, but this is a shared tank and I didnt have much choice.

Thanks,
Matthi

It stopped flipping. All fish look normal. Still curious though, has anyone seen this? Is this the same as "flashing" ?

I read your post yesterday and I have no idea. Flashing is usually done when a fish rubs its side on the gravel.
Keep an eye on the fish, I'm really not sure what else to say :?

Check your heater. Make sure it isn't going bad and shorting out in the water. That will give them a twitch.

Most likely though it might have been a parasite on the new fish. Even though most parasite cycles will last about 2 weeks keep a eye on the fish and see if anything starts up over the next month. The earlier you catch anything the eaiser it is to treat. Also keep up on the water changes. With many parasites there is a free swimming stage and if you can keep the water clean during that stage you will have the best luck.

They all seem to be OK - at least not exhibiting any symptoms for the past few days. I spent about 10 minutes looking them over and I can't see any worms or anything - so I hope they are doing well. Thinking about dosing the tank for parasites anyways though.

Best not to dose unless there is something there. Unnecessary meds can stress the fish and your filter.

Update: last night I saw one of my tetras brush the sand at bottom of tank - almost digging a gouge through it. And multiple tetras gills are bloody red. I'm thinking gill flukes.
planning to dose the tank tonight with anti-parasite.

:0

i have 1 male (and beautiful) betta, 2 angels, 3 serpae tetras, 2 black tetras, 3 neons, 3 ottos, 2 bronze corys, and 6 panda corys in there,... are there any warnings or recommended products to use?

Hi, I have 5 cory pandas that are almost 2 months old now. They do the same thing once in awhile. At first I was nervous about it, I thought they would hurt themselves - but they all seem fine to me.

I dont knwo what it is either. My tank is new and the heater is in an enclosed thingy (im so technical..) but I think its fine too.

The rasboras I have dont seem to jerk at all..

And my readings are almost exactly the same.....I dont see anything on any of them...I hope I dont have parasites..! 8O

I think they do it when I put the food in, if they do it at all...maybe they are just excited? I just looked at them for awhile, and I dont see anytthing on them.. :?:

Back
Top Bottom