Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bubbles and Grouped Up Fish?

I just did a water change bout 30 mins ago, and all my guppies are packed together by the feeding ring, and there's bubbles right by my filter. I use a bucket only for fish change, so it never touched anything but fish water and tap water. How the bubbles come in? Is it from the chemicals I use to treat the water? I used:
Ammona remover
Algae remover -very little, I have plecs-
Tap water conditioner
Nitrate remover -lowers it actually-
And now my fish are like, panicking. Will post updates tomorrow in the morning.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
What is your substrate? I have seen a few posts from people noticing bubbles after they switched to sand, the caribsea brand I believe. Then again, I use that sand and I haven't really noticed anything like that. Do you have any labyrinth breathers like guppies or gouramis that may have built a bubble nest?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
What is your substrate? I have seen a few posts from people noticing bubbles after they switched to sand, the caribsea brand I believe. Then again, I use that sand and I haven't really noticed anything like that. Do you have any labyrinth breathers like guppies or gouramis that may have built a bubble nest?
Substrate's been gravel since I changed to my 55g. And the bubbles are now gone, but no fry, my guppies haven't been to the surface much, other than for feeding. It's just weird. They were gone by morning.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your parameters like? What's the stocking?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I can remember;
Ammoia <2 ( the thing says safe)
pH around 7, not exact. I'm about to go to bed, and my dad would be mad
Nitrates??? Will test tomorrow

Stocking is in my signature, if you can see it. If not;
15-30ish guppies (planning to donate some again)
2 plecs
2 mollies
1 swordtail
1 BGK
Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gears-In-Time-
If I can remember;
Ammoia <2 ( the thing says safe)
pH around 7, not exact. I'm about to go to bed, and my dad would be mad
Nitrates??? Will test tomorrow

Stocking is in my signature, if you can see it. If not;
15-30ish guppies (planning to donate some again)
2 plecs
2 mollies
1 swordtail
1 BGK
Any ammonia present is toxic to the fish. The ammonia level should be 0, and there should be 0 nitrites as well. You have to cycle the tank. This forum has great thread to cycling, I would give you a link but I'm on the app version. Since you are doing a fish-in cycle, you should be doing water changes every day to make sure your fish don't die.

What kind of plecos are they? If they are common, they should be rehomed as soon as possible. How big are yours? They can grow to huge proportions and they need a tank minimum of at least 125G.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used the wrong symbol my bad, the reader said safe. They're common, and im trying to rehome them. My stepdads fault for not knowing they can get to 2' big. Sorry, im on the app too and I hit the wrong button lol.
Ammonia is >2 not <2, it's one of those readers you put in the tank on the glass and it does it automatically
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I used the wrong symbol my bad, the reader said safe. They're common, and im trying to rehome them. My stepdads fault for not knowing they can get to 2' big. Sorry, im on the app too and I hit the wrong button lol.
Ammonia is >2 not <2, it's one of those readers you put in the tank on the glass and it does it automatically
But there's still ammonia in the tank right? Those kinds of test can be very very innaccurate, as ANY amount of ammonia is unsafe. Try buying the API liquid test kit as those are extremely accurate and are only about $25.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure, my dad won't get me another testing kit until one runs out and we replace it. I add ammonia remover every 2 weeks to 4 weeks, sometimes 6 if the tank seems to be doing well
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a lot of chemicals! I say ditch the chemicals n stick to water and decorinator. Lots of wc's will bring ur levels down and make it safe for ur fish
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

So just tap and dechlorine? I have a bit of algae problem, and my plecs are lazy. Do I use that every month or so?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So just tap and dechlorine? I have a bit of algae problem, and my plecs are lazy. Do I use that every month or so?
Yes tap and dechlorinator. If ur showing ammonia and Trites then your tank is still cycling and you will have to do daily wc's to keep the toxins at their lowest till cycled. As for the algae I personally wouldn't use a quick fixes like a chemical, make sure ur tank isn't getting too much natural light and keep ur lights off that will limit the growth and maybe ur plecos can catch up.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Yes tap and dechlorinator. If ur showing ammonia and Trites then your tank is still cycling and you will have to do daily wc's to keep the toxins at their lowest till cycled. As for the algae I personally wouldn't use a quick toxins a chemical, make sure ur tank isn't getting too much natural light and keep ur lights off that will limit the growth and maybe ur plecos can catch up.
Alright. I was also thinking of getting oticincluses after getting rid of the plecos. It only gets natural light like almost not at all, it's just having plants and humidity would probably vd why, it's not a huge issue, it's only visible one one of my plants and the central decor
Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Alright. I was also thinking of getting oticincluses after getting rid of the plecos. It only gets natural light like almost not at all, it's just having plants and humidity would probably vd why, it's not a huge issue, it's only visible one one of my plants and the central decor
I hear otos are pretty sensitive fish, good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

I hear otos are pretty sensitive fish, good luck!
Thanks. They're my only choice so far because they are small, and quick moving
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Otos are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters and should only be added to an established tank.

I agree, stop dumping all those chemicals in your tank.

All you need is a dechlorinator. Period.

And you MUST get a good test kit. You can pick up the API master kit for less than $20.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Otos are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters and should only be added to an established tank.

I agree, stop dumping all those chemicals in your tank.

All you need is a dechlorinator. Period.

And you MUST get a good test kit. You can pick up the API master kit for less than $20.
Okay, thanks. Gotta get Grandma to help me lol, she's willing to spend for me. And I did a pH test, came out to be 6.0 to 6.4, its in between, liquid was a mix of the two. Liquid testing btw. Will check for ammo and nitrates asap
Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always have air bubbles after I change my water, but they always go away after awhile. Get your dad on the forum and we'll talk to him about the test kit.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser
I always have air bubbles after I change my water, but they always go away after awhile. Get your dad on the forum and we'll talk to him about the test kit.
He hates forums, so he wouldn't bother joining... but yea, I was just curious what the bubbles were
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
What is your current water change schedule?

Tags
bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com