Bubbles and Grouped Up Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just did a water change bout 30 mins ago, and all my guppies are packed together by the feeding ring, and there's bubbles right by my filter. I use a bucket only for fish change, so it never touched anything but fish water and tap water. How the bubbles come in? Is it from the chemicals I use to treat the water? I used:
Ammona remover
Algae remover -very little, I have plecs-
Tap water conditioner
Nitrate remover -lowers it actually-
And now my fish are like, panicking. Will post updates tomorrow in the morning.

What is your substrate? I have seen a few posts from people noticing bubbles after they switched to sand, the caribsea brand I believe. Then again, I use that sand and I haven't really noticed anything like that. Do you have any labyrinth breathers like guppies or gouramis that may have built a bubble nest?

Alyxx said:
What is your substrate? I have seen a few posts from people noticing bubbles after they switched to sand, the caribsea brand I believe. Then again, I use that sand and I haven't really noticed anything like that. Do you have any labyrinth breathers like guppies or gouramis that may have built a bubble nest?

Substrate's been gravel since I changed to my 55g. And the bubbles are now gone, but no fry, my guppies haven't been to the surface much, other than for feeding. It's just weird. They were gone by morning.

If I can remember;
Ammoia <2 ( the thing says safe)
pH around 7, not exact. I'm about to go to bed, and my dad would be mad
Nitrates??? Will test tomorrow

Stocking is in my signature, if you can see it. If not;
15-30ish guppies (planning to donate some again)
2 plecs
2 mollies
1 swordtail
1 BGK

-Gears-In-Time- said:
If I can remember;
Ammoia <2 ( the thing says safe)
pH around 7, not exact. I'm about to go to bed, and my dad would be mad
Nitrates??? Will test tomorrow

Stocking is in my signature, if you can see it. If not;
15-30ish guppies (planning to donate some again)
2 plecs
2 mollies
1 swordtail
1 BGK

Any ammonia present is toxic to the fish. The ammonia level should be 0, and there should be 0 nitrites as well. You have to cycle the tank. This forum has great thread to cycling, I would give you a link but I'm on the app version. Since you are doing a fish-in cycle, you should be doing water changes every day to make sure your fish don't die.

What kind of plecos are they? If they are common, they should be rehomed as soon as possible. How big are yours? They can grow to huge proportions and they need a tank minimum of at least 125G.

I used the wrong symbol my bad, the reader said safe. They're common, and im trying to rehome them. My stepdads fault for not knowing they can get to 2' big. Sorry, im on the app too and I hit the wrong button lol.
Ammonia is >2 not <2, it's one of those readers you put in the tank on the glass and it does it automatically

-Gears-In-Time- said:
I used the wrong symbol my bad, the reader said safe. They're common, and im trying to rehome them. My stepdads fault for not knowing they can get to 2' big. Sorry, im on the app too and I hit the wrong button lol.
Ammonia is >2 not <2, it's one of those readers you put in the tank on the glass and it does it automatically

But there's still ammonia in the tank right? Those kinds of test can be very very innaccurate, as ANY amount of ammonia is unsafe. Try buying the API liquid test kit as those are extremely accurate and are only about $25.

I'm not sure, my dad won't get me another testing kit until one runs out and we replace it. I add ammonia remover every 2 weeks to 4 weeks, sometimes 6 if the tank seems to be doing well

That's a lot of chemicals! I say ditch the chemicals n stick to water and decorinator. Lots of wc's will bring ur levels down and make it safe for ur fish :)

-Gears-In-Time- said:
So just tap and dechlorine? I have a bit of algae problem, and my plecs are lazy. Do I use that every month or so?

Yes tap and dechlorinator. If ur showing ammonia and Trites then your tank is still cycling and you will have to do daily wc's to keep the toxins at their lowest till cycled. As for the algae I personally wouldn't use a quick fixes like a chemical, make sure ur tank isn't getting too much natural light and keep ur lights off that will limit the growth and maybe ur plecos can catch up.

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Yes tap and dechlorinator. If ur showing ammonia and Trites then your tank is still cycling and you will have to do daily wc's to keep the toxins at their lowest till cycled. As for the algae I personally wouldn't use a quick toxins a chemical, make sure ur tank isn't getting too much natural light and keep ur lights off that will limit the growth and maybe ur plecos can catch up.

Alright. I was also thinking of getting oticincluses after getting rid of the plecos. It only gets natural light like almost not at all, it's just having plants and humidity would probably vd why, it's not a huge issue, it's only visible one one of my plants and the central decor

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Alright. I was also thinking of getting oticincluses after getting rid of the plecos. It only gets natural light like almost not at all, it's just having plants and humidity would probably vd why, it's not a huge issue, it's only visible one one of my plants and the central decor

I hear otos are pretty sensitive fish, good luck!

Last edited:
Otos are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters and should only be added to an established tank.

I agree, stop dumping all those chemicals in your tank.

All you need is a dechlorinator. Period.

And you MUST get a good test kit. You can pick up the API master kit for less than $20.

LyndaB said:
Otos are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters and should only be added to an established tank.

I agree, stop dumping all those chemicals in your tank.

All you need is a dechlorinator. Period.

And you MUST get a good test kit. You can pick up the API master kit for less than $20.

Okay, thanks. Gotta get Grandma to help me lol, she's willing to spend for me. And I did a pH test, came out to be 6.0 to 6.4, its in between, liquid was a mix of the two. Liquid testing btw. Will check for ammo and nitrates asap

I always have air bubbles after I change my water, but they always go away after awhile. Get your dad on the forum and we'll talk to him about the test kit.

Laser said:
I always have air bubbles after I change my water, but they always go away after awhile. Get your dad on the forum and we'll talk to him about the test kit.

He hates forums, so he wouldn't bother joining... but yea, I was just curious what the bubbles were

Back
Top Bottom