Bulge on goldfish side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All.

My red capped oranda has developed a small bump/bulge on his side. I've read about supersaturated gas maybe causes symptoms like this. I noticed it after about 6 hours after doing a large water change. If it is because of supersaturated gas will the bump go soon?

Thanks.

Hi! Can you post a pic along with your parameters? Gas bubble disease will appear as small blisters on the surface of a fish or bumps under the scales and will 'crackle' if you run your finger over them. Is this what you are seeing?

Hi! Can you post a pic along with your parameters? Gas bubble disease will appear as small blisters on the surface of a fish or bumps under the scales and will 'crackle' if you run your finger over them. Is this what you are seeing?

Hi Jlk.

Please see the attached pics. The parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate and 8.0 PH. I know the nitrate is a bit high but it comes out of my tap at that. I do 80% water changes weekly. I haven't touched the fish yet. I doubt he would let me lol. I also feed him and others home made gel food.

Attachments

• image-1295941039.jpg
    image-1295941039.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 126
  • image-3329379047.jpg
    image-3329379047.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1506829295.jpg
    image-1506829295.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-222459841.jpg
    image-222459841.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 109
Another pic

Attachments

• image-3893580658.jpg
    image-3893580658.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 105
Thank you for the pics and information! Did this appear overnight or has it been gradually growing? Is it firm lump or soft/squishy like its fluid filled (think of how a blister feels)?

Thank you for the pics and information! Did this appear overnight or has it been gradually growing? Is it firm lump or soft/squishy like its fluid filled (think of how a blister feels)?

It just all of a sudden appeared. I look at him regularly so I would have noticed if it had slowly been growing. I just touched the lump, it felt soft and squishy I think. Hard to tell as not sure if it felt soft due to his scales.

Does he have any other symptoms? Lack of appetite, resting more than usual, heavy breathing, odd swimming or trying to rub the area, any discoloration anywhere such as redness in the fins or stomach area, anything beyond this that does not seem quite?

Does he have any other symptoms? Lack of appetite, resting more than usual, heavy breathing, odd swimming or trying to rub the area, any discoloration anywhere such as redness in the fins or stomach area, anything beyond this that does not seem quite?

No, no other symptoms. He's eating fine, swimming fine, doesn't rub against anything, and isn't bottom sitting. The area of the bump looks normal (can only see normal looking scales), the only thing is, is just the bump. Apart from that he seems ok.

Does it still appear the same as in the pictures or has changed for the better/worse?

I am hesitant to suggest meds when he no other symptoms at all. If he had something else amiss, I would be inclined to suspect a bacterial infection. Due to its sudden appearance and softness though, I believe that this is still a definite possibility. If there is no change in the bump or it becomes worse/he develops other symptoms, I would start him on MediGold for a course of treatment. Keep us posted!

Does it still appear the same as in the pictures or has changed for the better/worse? I am hesitant to suggest meds when he no other symptoms at all. If he had something else amiss, I would be inclined to suspect a bacterial infection. Due to its sudden appearance and softness though, I believe that this is still a definite possibility. If there is no change in the bump or it becomes worse/he develops other symptoms, I would start him on MediGold for a course of treatment. Keep us posted!

The lump seems to have for worse now. It seems to be stilling out more and making his scales stick out more. Also one of the outermost scales on the lump seems to have white stuff coming off it. See pic.

Attachments

• image-3608151448.jpg
    image-3608151448.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 142
Think the lump has just burst? I've dosed the tank with Melafix. Unfortunately I don't have a qt tank. Do you think Melafix will do the trick?

Attachments

• image-2387100246.jpg
    image-2387100246.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 94
This doesn't like a bacterial problem from what I can tell - the area where the scales are lifting don't appear reddened at all??

Sorry to say this could be a tumour. I am thinking that because the fish looks otherwise healthy - if it was a bacterial problem that developed that quickly, I would expect him to look at least a little droopy! and to have some secondary fin erosion.

Fancy goldfish can be prone to tumours, I have seen write a few in my time. I have also seen them disappear! Just keep his environment healthy and update us with any changes.

This doesn't like a bacterial problem from what I can tell - the area where the scales are lifting don't appear reddened at all?? Sorry to say this could be a tumour. I am thinking that because the fish looks otherwise healthy - if it was a bacterial problem that developed that quickly, I would expect him to look at least a little droopy! and to have some secondary fin erosion. Fancy goldfish can be prone to tumours, I have seen write a few in my time. I have also seen them disappear! Just keep his environment healthy and update us with any changes.

Thanks for your thoughts Pip. I didn't think it was a bacterial issue either, as water is kept pristine and tank maintenance is regular.

However, tonight the lump has seemly burst. If you see the first pic I unloaded today the lump had a whiteness to it. A few hours later the whiteness appeared to have been converted to a small hole. (See latest pic).

With this in mind, do you think it could still be a tumor?

Tumors do not magically appear overnight nor do they burst open. Abscesses/infections do. As the lump has burst and now has a hole that's acting as a site of drainage for infection, I honestly would be treating promptly with a course of MediGold. Melafix is not going to be very helpful in this situation. Fancies or any other type of fish can be subject to infections regardless of tank conditions and I suspect this is an aeromonas infection.

The lump seems to have for worse now. It seems to be stilling out more and making his scales stick out more. Also one of the outermost scales on the lump seems to have white stuff coming off it. See pic.

Hi, How did it go after your last post - now a few years back?

I seem to face similar symptoms in on of my fantails: overnight, a bulge appeared in the same region, behind the gils, on its RIGHT-side only . Its behaviour and appetite are mostly normal, just resting at the bottom a little more often. But otherwise swimming upright - showing no symptoms of bladder problems. It seems to have lost one - only one- scale on the left side, in the same region behind the gills, opposite to the Bulge side, so it may well be just a coincidental issue.

Water parameters are ok: 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20 ppm Nitrate. PH: 7.8. (before PWC). I perform weekly water changes of 30% - or more - and check filters, etc.

Action taken: Performed a 1/3 water change and initiated Tetra LifeGuard treatment. ( 5 days of 2 tablets-a-day in the water) in case it is parasites, or gets infected or it bursts as yours did, risking infection in that case.
Feeding mashed peas in case its a digestive / dietary problem.

Any suggestions? I will try to upload pictures if someones can help. Note the bulge is on the fish RIGHT side. The missing scale on the Left side.

I am new to this forum, so sorry if picking up an old threat is a good practice. But it seems the only one with exactly my same problem (and thanks to those original pictures!)

Fred.

Attachments

• IMG_5127 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_5127 - Version 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_5131 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_5131 - Version 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom