Bulge on goldfish side. Tumor? Infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, you have a blue, green and red mystery bottles as medicinal options. I am afraid I am not fluent in spanish but of the ingredients you have listed, my choice would be option B (green bottle). Methylene blue is an old standby of mine when I have run out other options or using to treat simple infections. The acriflavine-family meds contained in it are anti-bacterial (not antibiotic) but they were once used historically to treat bacterial infections in humans and animals (prior to the discovery of antibiotics) so I would have greater faith in these than holistic med. Option A is strictly just a variety of dyes (MB, MG, GV) that all have similar means of efficacy. I also would not combine all three under any circumstances but that is my personal opinion.

Any luck procuring antibiotics?

Delapool, I have a decent thread **somewhere** with information on the Lifeguard product. I posted it awhile back but I can not recall if it was on here or another forum. I will dig out my notebooks a bit later and I hope I wrote down the link to it!

The active ingredient is a stabilized form of chlorine but the only approved medical use for it as a contact lens cleaner. I did actually give it the benefit of the doubt once in the past for dealing with a minor infection and ended treatment after only three days as the infection rapidly became worse (and switched to antibiotics which cleared it quickly). I also know some individuals that used this product with their fish and the fish had very bad reactions. Perhaps it would useful for something very minor (equivalent to washing a minor scrape with soap and water) but its usefulness for serious issues is not there.

Any luck procuring antibiotics?

I went to an aquarium equipment / manufacturer today (no live fish, just equipment) We discussed and showed the pics. He recommend antibiotics, but since Argentina is a Under-devloPING country it's been six months since imports are not allowed of the specific fish antibiotics he used to have. Apprantely no fish-vets exist in Buenos Aires (its all cats and dogs: plenty of crap in the streets and parks give testimony of it). Due to the thin, whitish poo and the appearance of flesh coming out of the scars, he suggests GF might be infected with HEXAMITE

I googled and the suggested treatment is Metronidazol, a.k.a Flagyl 250mg in tablets (liquid form not usable), obtainable in normal "human" pharmacies.
Any thoughts?

But look at this pictures and vido tonight, after I've been 12 hours out of home. I think we need to start our prayers, even if tomorrow I am any luckier with antibiotics. Caudal fin is rotting in a horribly whitish gelatine. Head has white globe and spots all over.... Can't keep upright nor swim normally.

Attachments

• Monday night 1.jpg
    Monday night 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 88
SALT

Would you add Salt at this point? Generally, what's the dose for salt in aquariums. I am tinking to treat with Salt the "healthy" fellow, in case he got infected and not showing, yet, symptoms.

Last edited:
Would you add Salt at this point? Generally, what's the dose for salt in aquariums. I am tinking to treat with Salt the "healthy" fellow, in case he got infected and not showing, yet, symptoms.

If you can get metro, go for it! It does have antibiotic properties though it's more known for dealing with Protozoa/parasite issues. Increasing the salinity will not hurt either. Premix 1level teaspoon salt per gallon into some conditioned water and add this salt solution gradually over 12-24hrs. Only replace the salt you remove with water changes (ie, change 5g, add back only 5tsp).

I am very sorry he is not doing well. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Delapool, I have a decent thread **somewhere** with information on the Lifeguard product. I posted it awhile back but I can not recall if it was on here or another forum. I will dig out my notebooks a bit later and I hope I wrote down the link to it!

The active ingredient is a stabilized form of chlorine but the only approved medical use for it as a contact lens cleaner. I did actually give it the benefit of the doubt once in the past for dealing with a minor infection and ended treatment after only three days as the infection rapidly became worse (and switched to antibiotics which cleared it quickly). I also know some individuals that used this product with their fish and the fish had very bad reactions. Perhaps it would useful for something very minor (equivalent to washing a minor scrape with soap and water) but its usefulness for serious issues is not there.

Many thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. If you do come across the link, would definitely be keen to read it.

And use it in Court against Tetra.

Lol - yeah, always interested in anything new as Australia is a bit behind but I think I will promote that one further down the list.

I've got to ask what you used for filtration in the 1970's? In the 1990's when I started (then left hobby for a bit), I think I had 2 kilometres of air tubing running in-tank and hob filters along with an 'advanced' ugf I was very proud of and regularly lost catfish into.

I've got to ask what you used for filtration in the 1970's?.

My grand-grand-fahter tells me that in the in the early 70's fish had feet and could crawl up the walls of the aquarium. By the time I was born, Justin Bieber was called a musician, Pink Floyd was believed to be an AIDS mutation and, well, people talked through their fingers using whatsapp, etc.

But from my very, very, ancestral genetical heritage, I recall fish keeping in the 70's was more akin to fish killing: keep a bucket of tap water still for 24 hours (drops were for wimps) remove ALL water, scrub the glasses, thoroughly wash the gravel and get your aquarium pristine, every month or so. If any fish were still alive by the tine a TWC (TOTAL Water Change) was due, that would require holding them in a pan of water while the sceptic operation was going on. But normally we managed to kill them quite quick. Six months was believed to be the average life-span, and LFS would totally agree, as nowadays.
I hope my experience, hence, DOES NOT help you at all, nor anyone in this forum - PLEASE, unaware reader jumping into the last post!, THAT WAS BAD, really BAD!

R.I.P. - Post mortem help

Well, it really looked bad, and he passed away. Amen.

I managed to get the first dose of antibiotics (Metronidazol) this morning, too late. But now I know where to get them: there's a pharmacy near home that actually has that rare stock of API in "bulk", so she even prepared the capsules with the 125 grams per dose I needed. And gave them for free!!

For the records: When fish not feeding, addd 250 mg of Metronidazol per 40 litres of water; rise (slowly) water temp to 30º Celsius. Source and further details- in spanish: http://drpez.org/enfermedades-y-tra...xamita-sintomas-y-un-posible-tratamiento.html

Look at the pictures, as I found him dead this afternoon: head all white, scales with dropsy (not sure if I use that term correctly). If you want, I can take better ones with an SLR camera. Still at home, for educational purpose to my kids. (Who are jumping happy for they will get a new one, my God!)

QUESTIONS:
1) Urgent: Is it worth treating with antibiotics the "healthy" fish left in the main aquarium? I read HEXAMITE is very contagious and can take even months to show symptoms. And I only moved RIP-guy to a hospital tank very late in the process.... :facepalm:
2) How to find out if it was HEXAMITE or what killed him?
What to check for? What pictures do you need? Shall I cut it open? I've cut open salmon and trout in the past -as an angler-, but never a Goldfish with an Alien inside...... (Shall I wear my kid's Darth Vader shield, or my girl's firefighter gas-mask :brows:)

"You can loose a fish, but don't loose the lesson", some chineese guy must have said that.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I am so sorry :(

In respect to your queries, without a microscope to ID positively the specific culprit, its honestly really difficult to say what exactly was the cause of his demise. I do not believe he had hex but a severe internal bacterial infection(s) which are difficult to treat even when you have access to decent meds.

Whether your other fish is at risk, I do not know. My suggestion would be to monitor him closely for the slightest odd symptom and be religious on frequent water changes along with a good diet. I would not medicate without just cause as it can sometimes create more issues than it hopes to address but be prepared in the event you do need to treat him.

Although I am not fluent in Spanish, the average metro dose is 400-500mg per 20g. This should be dosed daily after a big water change. Increasing the heat to 30c may work with tropicals with a parasitic/protozoa issue but I strongly do not recommend this for goldfish under any circumstances. Its also worth noting that a bacterial issue will be further complicated by increasing the temp (bacteria multiply at greater rates and are more virulent).

Delapool, I left myself a note to try and find that thread/post in my notebooks (which I did at least find!)- I will let you know if I find it!

Fred, please let us know if we can be of any further help!

Monitor other fish

I am so sorry :(
Thank you for your help and quick responses.(y) We ALL tried hard! :thanks:

Whether your other fish is at risk [...]. monitor him closely for the slightest odd symptom and [... don't ] medicate without just cause

So lets talk about "OTHER" GF. Look at the pictures with poo of over 10 cm (4 inches) long. Color is "normal" (IMO, so please tell if otherwise).
I am feeding twice daily with Tetra flakes or pellets (pre-damped) plus green mashed pees in addition or in-between. I am even skipping a "sitting" every other day (promoted by a hectic end of year schedule).

QUESTION: is this long poo indication of any sickness? what if any?

without a microscope to ID positively the specific culprit, [...] I do not believe he had hex but a severe internal bacterial infection(s)

It's still in the freezer. ASAP I will attempt to open up, so any hints to what to look for, are still welcome. Maybe we cannot tell the exact bacteria, but checking which organs and how were attacked, we can discard / point a general direction. I am an engineer and MBA! no med/vet/bio/.... :brows:

Attachments

• LOOOONG Poo 006.jpg
    LOOOONG Poo 006.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 83
  • LOOOONG Poo 007.jpg
    LOOOONG Poo 007.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 85
All ends well ?

One fish gone, the other healthy - Total Nitrates finally at check, so it was either overpopulated or plants rotting too much. I think this discussion can be closed. Thanks to all!

(Though I am still looking the to open up the sick fish, still in the freezer.... hidden from normal humans who might call my learning intentions morbid ).

Back
Top Bottom