Bullied dw. gourami??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, me again, so soon. One of my red dwarf gouramis has a sore between his dorsal fin and his tail fin. I don't believe it is related to my Mr. Molly , RIP, who I posted about a few days ago. The gourami is showing no signs of anything except the sore on his tail. The tank is understocked, and the parameters are perfect. 25% pwc every 2 weeks.
He is in with my 5 3" cl. loaches, 5 other dw. gouramis, 8 neon tets, and 3 oto's. The tank is a 90 long. He is now in qt, but I didn't want to add any med's until I got some different thoughts from all you guys. I personally think one of the other d.g. is picking on him, as one has always been dominant. They are all males. The pic isn't very good, but it better than nothing. I had a case of tail rot with the loaches, but that was 4 months ago when I first brought them home. There have been no new additions for quite some time, plants or fish. Any diagnosis would be greatly appreciated along with treatments, TIA, Farmgirl.

Attachments

• img_0743_189.jpg
    img_0743_189.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 30
It might very well be an injury caused by the other gourami. Have you seen the aggressive gourami nipping at the other one?

For now if possible QT the fish and keep the parameters the same as your main tank. If the injury appears to infect or get fungusy, you can use maracyn. Clean water with no repeated attacks should go a long way in helping the gourami to heal. Long range you may have to find a home for the aggressor or the victim.

Thanks Zagz, I agree, I'll probably just take the aggressor back, as he is always chasing someone. Is this typical of D. G.'s?? The injured fish is in the QT and I'll be suer to watch very closely. He looks sad all by himself, though!! Oh well, better than getting eaten!!
Thanks, Farmgirl out.

DGs are frequently quite territorial and hostile toward their own species (unless you get a "paired" pair).

I would suggest taking all but one (or two if you can sex 'em) back for something else.

Back
Top Bottom