Buying fish with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to go buy some more root tabs and went to look at the fish. I noticed that some of the tanks had dead Khulis all over the bottom (such a sad sight!) and the ones who weren't dead were gasping, skinny and had what I think was fin rot. You can see the little bones in the fins, tails not there.

Anyways my question is, would it be a bad idea to get these fish and try to rehabilitate them back? I wanted to get 4 more Khulis anyways.

Honestly, its best to avoid sick, diseased fish and purchase from a fish store with healthy stock.

=( that is what I thought the answer would be. Though sometimes I read on here people rescuing bettas in bad shape. I just feel so bad! But i know its better for me not to. Plus if they die, and they were already dying, i would probably feel guilty like i killed them.

I wish fish stores were regulated better. It's so weird because this is my LFS that I usually love. I've never seen fish in bad situations or all dead like that (a pet supermarket here ugh. Last time I went they had angels with gourami and cichlids and the angels kept getting beat on and torn apart in front of me =( felt so bad. I told the manager and they just kept hitting the glass! I even hinted maybe they should be in separate tanks).

I went to your profile to see your tanks and oh my gosh! You have some pretty nice tanks. I love the television idea and the paludarium one the most! Such a neat thing to do.

=( that is what I thought the answer would be. Though sometimes I read on here people rescuing bettas in bad shape. I just feel so bad! But i know its better for me not to. Plus if they die, and they were already dying, i would probably feel guilty like i killed them.

I wish fish stores were regulated better. It's so weird because this is my LFS that I usually love. I've never seen fish in bad situations or all dead like that (a pet supermarket here ugh. Last time I went they had angels with gourami and cichlids and the angels kept getting beat on and torn apart in front of me =( felt so bad. I told the manager and they just kept hitting the glass! I even hinted maybe they should be in separate tanks).
It is incredibly hard to leave them sometimes but it is for the best IMHO. It saves another fish from being put in the same conditions. The best thing to do is to bring it up with management and if nothing is done, shop elsewhere.

I went to your profile to see your tanks and oh my gosh! You have some pretty nice tanks. I love the television idea and the paludarium one the most! Such a neat thing to do.
Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom