Callamanus worms :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've noticed that a guppy of mine has had this red threadlike "thing" protruding from its vent, after much research I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely Callamanus and read its pretty tough to beat. I looked up all the meds for it and the most effective one that everyone is using is unavailable to me. Second best was a dog de wormer. I'm not very confident in my abilities with all that crazy measuring with the powdered Pancur so I opted to give the medicated food from Angels Plus a go. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with it or if there is anything else I can do to speed they're recovery. I have snails and shrimp in with the guppy, can they be affected too?

Yea, I can't get ahold of the stuff here in the states. Here is what worries me, this is taken off the website where I bought the medicated flake. " Feed only what they can consume in 5 seconds. Yes, that's right - 5 seconds! Medication dissolves rapidly into the water and it virtually useless in food that has sat for 30 seconds uneaten. 90% will remain in the food within the first 5 seconds. This means feeding only a couple flakes and letting the fish eat them immediately. Wait 15-20 seconds and then repeat. Do this multiple times until the fish is full. If they don't eat the food within 5 seconds, you need to remove it and dispose of it. They must not eat the food after the medication leaches out because it leaves less room for the food with it. It can take a long time to feed this way, but if you don't want to be bothered, then you may as well not treat at all. The above holds true for all medicated fish foods, not just medicated flakes." Now I'm assuming the shrimp can carry this worm? Maybe I'm wrong... But if they do 5 seconds isn't nearly long enough for them to ALL get some food.... Any suggestions???

Here is a description of the food: " A garlic based flake that is designed to kill nematodes (capillaria, camallanus, etc). It targets parasites similar to the ones our first De-worming Flake is designed for, but it works in a totally different manner. It is good to alternate medication types occasionally to help prevent the developement of worms resistant to the one medication. This food should be fed once each day for two days. Feed the fish only once each day of the treatment at the end of the day. They should be kept hungry, so they will eat vigorously. Repeat the full treatment two more times, 2-3 weeks apart.

Active ingredient: levamisole. Also contains beta glucan for immune boosting. We recommend feeding our Immune Booster Flake for 1 week after the medicated feeding is discontinued. For ornamental fish use only.". One more question... What is considered an "ornamental fish?"

An ornamental fish is the fish we hobbiests keep (vs fish for human consumption or wild fish). Levamisole isn't impossible to find but it is difficult. I'm on cell & don't have my links- send me msg reminder & I'll give you a link to place that sells it in the US if you want to try treating your tank.

Well I thought my Levomisole was gonna be here today but it didnt show up :( I did get my medicated flake and decided to give them some. Im very worried about my shrimp, Im hoping they dont die from it. I also wonder what effects the levomisole will have on my plants. I was going for the planted tank in this 10 gallon and some Subwassertang I had ordered arrived today but Im hesistant to put it in while I treat because I dont want to kill it.... anyone have any ideas? Is there some way I can store the Subwassertang until treatment is done?

Mumma.of.two said:
Don't worry about it. It perfectly safe! I've use a full dosage in the water in a heavily planted tank with fish and inverts. BB safe too :)

Oh that is GREAT news!!! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom