Callamanus worms and Levamisole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summerdayze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

I have recently found a few of my fish to have Callamanus worms. I assume they have come from the live blackworms that I use to feed the eel.

I have purchased some Levamisole in a liquid form. It is a 500ml bottle that reads:

ACTIVE CONSTITUENT: Levamisole Hydrochloride 32 g/L (Equivalent to 27 g/L Levamisole)

Has anyone any idea what the required dosage is? Should I work it out from 32 g/L or 27 g/L? Does anyone know whether some fish could be adversely affected by this med (eg. loaches, cory's)

The tank is a 5 ft 300 L that contains:

4 Angels
2 Platys
7 Neons
2 Bala Sharks
1 Spiney Eel
2 German Blue Rams
6 Clown Loaches (babies)

PH = 7.0
Ammonia = .1
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20

Any help is appreaciated. Cheers.

Steve

From what I gather I need a 7.5% solution of Levasimole dosed at 2ml for every 10 Litres.

I guess I really am unsure how to get a 7.5% solution from the bottle I have purchased. (Sorry if this is a really dumb question)

I'm just not sure whether what I have is 100% Levamisole or whether:

ACTIVE CONSTITUENT: Levamisole Hydrochloride 32 g/L (Equivalent to 27 g/L Levamisole)

means it is watered down a little already??

Everything I've read on levamisole says it is safe for all fish. The difference between the amount of levamisole HCl and equivalent levamisole it that a HCl group has been slapped on there to stabilize the levamisole. Still, you should calculate from the 32g/L. Do a MAJOR gravel vac the day after treating. I've had trouble finding levamisole here. Tell us how it works out.

Thanks for the reply. I found that the Levamisole I had was a 3.2% concentrate. I ended up calculating it to a 140ml dose for 300L.

I put the dose in last night 19 hrs ago.

I have come back from work and the angels seem listless and without an appetite. The loaches, cory's, and sharks seem fine. The Platy that has had them for about a week has died.

1 angel STILL has the worms coming out of her anus. They are actually sticking out a little further (1/8"). Does this mean she still has them?

I have just emptied 50% of the water with a very good gravel vaccuum, and as expected there were lots of worms in it.

They were still alive though. Should they be dead??

Bump

I am hoping someone who has treated for this will come along with some advice. I have never had this and hope to learn about it in case I do.

An update. After the water change the listless fish became active again. I have removed the angel still with Callamanus worms to a hospital tank where I am getting her to eat blood/black worms soaked in around a 8% Levamisole solution.

To make matters worse, the loaches now have ich......

I have treated the tank with a half strength Malachite Green solution. It appears to have had no reaction to the Levamisole in the water. All fish are going ok, but the angels seem to have become rather agressive and aren't to fond of the standard flake food at the moment.....

Back
Top Bottom