Camallanus!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is terrible! My angelfish has been bloated for a few days now and I couldn't figure out why. Until when I looked at her today, I see a red worm sticking out of her!!

I have a 29 gal planted tank. Can someone please help me out? I have no idea how to treat this and after doing research online it seems everyone uses different products? I want to get these worms killed before they infect the rest of my fish. I already have a swordtail who is bloated as well and I'm worried!

Attachments

• DSCF1590.jpg
    DSCF1590.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 213
It has dropsy and anchor worms. Treatment:The anchor worm can be removed with tweezers from the infected fish, the bloody spot dipped once with iodine or hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab, and then daily application of neosporin creme. If the anchor worm is on a newly aquired fish in quarantine, thats mostly all thats needed. If the whole tank is infected, additional measures are asked for. Medications like Dimillin or Program as well as other readily available remedies are neccessary in that case. Anchors Away can be used, and has (Dimillin)Diflubenzuron as main ingredient. Salt is great as well. Dropsy: sadly there is no reliable way to cure it. It will most likely die within a few months.

It has no pineconing, though. Just bloated and a red worm sticking out, which I've read online are symptoms of camallanus worms. What's the difference between these and anchor worms?? I'm afraid to pull them out because if they are camallanus, then it said online not to pull them out because I will rip out tissue too.

After looking anchor worms online... I'm 100% sure it's not that and it is camallanus worms.

I don't believe they have dropsy, though... they are just bloated from the worms in them.

Today I'm going out hunting for Fenbendazole or Levamisole HCL. I'm going to try the feed store first, and hope it's open on sundays. Then I'm going to try the pet stores for any fish foods that contain these products because my fish are still eating. This is my plan so far...

I reckon it's just bloated too. Just look out for pine coning. Just incase . There is one way but it's not cheap. You can get a vet to inject the sick fish for dropsy. Good luck I hope it's alright.

I was able to get fenbendazole! I soaked it in my fish's food and fed all of my tanks. Everyone ate some so I'm hoping this will work and kill the worms.

Angelplus.com sells a medicated food for this! I've dealt with this in the past and posted a thread here that led me to someone who I could purchase levasol from to treat my tank. I used that in conjunction with te medicated food from Angelplus and was able to beat it! I'll try to dig up my thread to find the supplier. I also bought extra to keep on hand just in case because it is rather hard to find!!! Good luck!!!

Attachments

• image-1475197954.jpg
    image-1475197954.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 104
Also, I might add, the only way to really get rid of it is to be diligent with gravel vacs as the medication only really paralyzes the worms so they pass... In the meantime other fish may eat them and become reinfected. The supplier told me that the "nematodes" are heavy in the water column so if u have other tanks be very careful with wc equipment and what not!

AndrewsPistol said:
Angelplus.com sells a medicated food for this! I've dealt with this in the past and posted a thread here that led me to someone who I could purchase levasol from to treat my tank. I used that in conjunction with te medicated food from Angelplus and was able to beat it! I'll try to dig up my thread to find the supplier. I also bought extra to keep on hand just in case because it is rather hard to find!!! Good luck!!!

Great info. Will be great if you can find or share who was your supplier of those medications....

Thank you!
If the stuff I have now doesn't work, this is definitely my plan B. I really appreciate your advice! This helps me so much.

Thank you! It's Ms Zebra by the way :)

Do any of you know anything about the stuff I am using, fenbendazole?? I've read accounts of people using it successfully. But it seems like the levamisole is the best stuff... I'm going to give the fenbendazole a bit longer to see if it kills the worms. If not, it is time for me to use the levamisole. Is it necessary for me to get both the flakes and the power, or will one of the other suffice? My fish are still eating, so I'm assuming the flakes would be the best and safest route to go.

Well they say the powder alone is fine, but I felt that I needed to be extra sure these lil buggers were gone! So I opted for both. You need to treat tanks twice 2-3 weeks apart from the first treatment. The food acts as a laxative too, so they expel worms fast. I was told however that the meds won't kill the worm, just paralyze it, that is why it's important to get the waste out quick because of the eggs and worms that other fish will ingest an become reinfected. JLK! Couldn't have done it without you! Thanks a million!!!!

The food is cheap, and I got a HUGE bag, a ton more than I needed... I was happy to see it working very quickly too. I really like AngelsPlus, they are a great site and the man who runs it is super knowledgable! Ship ultra fast too :)

Back
Top Bottom