Camallanus-HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcnomnom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone help me out? I have a 10 gallon tank 3 fish: one molly two guppies all male. One of my guppies slowly started to stop eating/got thinner and a day after a red string poked out of his anul. Basically to say: he has camallanus. 90% sure of it. Its not poop i know that much. Ive had the tank running for 10 months and have had the molly for about 4 months and the guppies for about 2 months. CAN ANYONE SUGJEST A MEDICATION TO KILL THESE THINGS?! Ive read up on how hard they are to get rid of and what aquaruimist says work, but does anyone have any sugestions? And if so where can i find these? I ran to the pet store and bought tetra parasite gaurd (i know it probably wont work but if it can treat atleast some of/slow the process its worth it for not until i have a better solution). THANK YOU!

Don't randomly use medications. Use the one that will cure the problem.

Thanks ive heard of that medication working. And its not just a random medication, its suppost to kill any internal parasite. But from what im hearing, it hasnt been working very well for people because the store generally use this product on the worm but now the worms have become immune to it to a degree. So im using it now to be used as a filler befote i can get better, more effective medication.

I used it and it worked great. I have also had to treat hex so I followed with the anti-protozoan flake. So both of them have done the trick. You have to gravel vac real well. I was vacuuming every day

Thanks ive heard of that medication working. And its not just a random medication, its suppost to kill any internal parasite. But from what im hearing, it hasnt been working very well for people because the store generally use this product on the worm but now the worms have become immune to it to a degree. So im using it now to be used as a filler befote i can get better, more effective medication.

oh okay. Sorry

Ok people i need help asap. The guppy badly infected died today. He died floating at the top, arched in a rainbow shape, fins out, gills tight, mouth open. As soon as he died, my molly is now showing werid symptoms. No appatite (whichs hes always had) swimming weird like hes straining to move his tail and ends up only moving the front half of him, and bloated belly....im still treating with the parasite gaurd and doing water changes but....nothing seems to work....

He also is lying on the gravel which he has never done and keeps his top fin down which is also odd. Hes always been active never still like he is now

Without proper treatment you'll continue to lose fish, Parasite Guard will do NOTHING for Camallanus worms. You need to treat with levamisole, until you start to treating the fish for the specific problem and not with a medication for internal parasites will you be never be done with this. Everyone has been in this situation and I agree it sucks but treat with the correct meds and you'll be past this in no time, good luck.

Angels plus medicated foods are only ones I've used that fish accept willingly, most other brands are simply eaten then spit out. I'm currently using their parasite flakes treating a tank for Hexamita.

Fish Antibiotic Medication

Last edited:
+1 hukit. I just treated mine for hex. I have also has to use their food with the other stated in your previous post for these worms. Works real well just make sure you keep up with diligent vacuums ...but he's right, you won't get rid of them with the parasite guard your using:(

Where can i find this levamisole in person? Online isnt an option. I checked petsmart and walmart- neither had it. What does it look like?

To add, my molly died soon after postin his sympotoms...which is odd because my other fish lived with the worms for a week while my molly had no symptoms then died within 12 hours...on top of that my molly did not have the worms coming out his anus. All he had was a bloated belly and less active low appitite....is it still the worms or something else? Ive done water changes as directed (25% per day with the medication) and my water has now gotten cloudy and there are weird white strings growing from decorations in the tank and on the fliter what is this?!

Where can i find this levamisole in person? Online isnt an option. I checked petsmart and walmart- neither had it. What does it look like?

The only place I'm aware that sells it other than the place I recommended earlier is feed stores. Levamisole is a deformer for all sorts of animals including pigs and chickens and such, so start your search there. Here in northern Chicagoland we have a store calls Farm n Fleet which sells most medications for livestock.

Back
Top Bottom