Camallanus in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drs1993

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, new to this community. Anyway, I woke up this morning and upon going to feed my fish I noticed red worms protruding from one of my guppy's and one of my rasboras' anal region. From all research I've done I've determined it to be camallanus(not sure if I'm spelling that right). Are there any recommended treatments that work better than others? I want to help the little guys out

Edit: Tank is 28g bowfront with only 6 harlequin rasbora, 2 guppies, and one male bristlenose pleco. Filtration was made for 50 gallons

I would take the fish out treat them with medicated food or try soaking some pebbles in garlic juice. Don't feed live food to them. And turn up the heat as high as 95 degrees on the tank. should kill off the worms in the tank. Then clean everything. And keep the other tank or contain the fish are in clean. I'd change out the water daily. With the pleco I'd put him in a container alone. He eats the other fishes poop. You can soak a wafer or cucumber in garlic for him.

Levamisole HCI is the only sure cure for camallanus .
This is a link to one of the few reliable /trusted suppliers in the US.
Levamisole, Flubendazole & other chemicals for the aquarium
Email Charles and chase after him if he misses returning to you quickly.His site will provide the most accurate info on this issue available.
Sorry to hear about your fish.
I was reading that too, thanks! I just ordered some. From what I've read I should do a water change, treat with Levamisole, wait 2-3 days, do another water change, and then wait 3 weeks and treat again? Does this sound correct or should I email Charles to verify do you think? Thanks so much for your help!

That does sound correct.
Read the info on Charles link to make sure you are getting the right measure or percentage of the levamisole.Some ebay sellers just send weight without percentage which makes dosing random or at least inaccurate.

That does sound correct.
Read the info on Charles link to make sure you are getting the right measure or percentage of the levamisole.Some ebay sellers just send weight without percentage which makes dosing random or at least inaccurate.
I bought levamisole 100% from here:

http://www.angelsplus.com/MedsParasite.htm

I got 25 grams and I did check the link from Charles to determine how much to dose. Thanks again I really appreciate it. :) can't wait for it to get here.

Back
Top Bottom