camallanus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpkbfish420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish have camallanus worms and i cant find levamisole anywhere..would a vet have it?? what should i do??!!

I don't know much about this, so I googled around. This is a pretty good story:
Camallanus Worms: An Aquariasts Worst Nightmare

According to that article, an alternative treatment is metronidazole & praziquental. <Although he had no luck with it ... he did use it only in the water.> This 2 meds together is supposed to be the most effective anti-parasitic in the goldies world. You can find both in Jungle's anti-parasite food. This is the 1st drug I use for internal parasites. Feeding the drug containing food will get the drug directly to the worms & should be more effective than just having it in the water. <I am assuming that you will be treating the fish in a hospital setup, so that any worms/eggs in the water can be dealt with seperately .... perhaps with potassium permaganate? I know bleach will do it, but that kills your biofilter ....>

You might be able to get Levamisole from a vet. It is a prescription drug, although it is no longer listed in my (Canadian) 2009 CPS Drug reference.

thanks for that great link! problem is i cant get a few of my fish to eat anything so i doubt if theyll eat medicine. hopefully my local vet will carry it..or at least order it!

well i got the stuff ordered but its gonna take 3-4 weeks and i lost a guppy this morning..anybody know if theres anything i could do in the meantime? would pima or melafix do anything?

If you have more than one tank you should probably consider treating the others to since they can be transfered easily from one tank to another. Melafix is for fungus infections not for parasites.

Back
Top Bottom