Camallanus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so a few days ago I noticed some red strands coming out of my fish anus. And upon closer inspection I have fish in both of my tanks that have some. How do I get rid of these? I've been reading that's its really not easy.

Yes they can be a terrible pain in the backside to eradicate without the proper medication, eventually leading to the death of the host. I prefer to treat with medicated foods which works far better than simply treating the water itself.

The first step is deworming flakes from Angels which contain Levamisole which is by far the best and only active ingredient that I'd recommend. You need DeWorm 3 for this parasite.

DeWorming Fish Flake Food

Last edited:
Yes they can be a terrible pain in the backside to eradicate without the proper medication, eventually leading to the death of the host. I prefer to treat with medicated foods which works far better than simply treating the water itself.

The first step is deworming flakes from Angels which contain Levamisole which is by far the best and only active ingredient that I'd recommend. You need DeWorm 3 for this parasite.

DeWorming Fish Flake Food

Thanks for your reply unfortunately levasimole as it is an older medication is no longer available in canada. However I have contacted my vet who recommended fendenbazole in the form of panacur which I will be picking up tomorrow. I'll let you know what the results are.

Use fenben in food not in the water column.

Yeah, the vet said to put it in the water but according to my research you are right. Do you know the ideal dosage it's 22%.

And do I have to disinfect my python nets filters etc. the worms are already in both tanks.

Are your fish still eating? This is the problem with deworming food. Fish need to eat it for it to be effective.

I've never used fenben but I looked it up: .25 grams panacur per 1 oz of food. I don't know the dosage for 100% pure fenben. Can you get Panacur in Canada?

Are your fish still eating? This is the problem with deworming food. Fish need to eat it for it to be effective.

I've never used fenben but I looked it up: .25 grams panacur per 1 oz of food. I don't know the dosage for 100% pure fenben. Can you get Panacur in Canada?

Yes they are still eating. Yes you can purchase panacur in canada, however it must be prescribed by a vet. Can I use the same equipment as before and not re introduce the worms, without cleaning it?

I clean all equipment after every use. I spray mine down with 25% bleach, let it soak for 5 minutes, then rinse and dry.

For your python water changer, I spray a stronger solution of 25% in the areas that actually touch the water, rinse well, and let dry.

Okay so I started feeding them this morning and so far there is no noticeable difference. I will do my best to keep you guys informed on the situation.

I completed my first week of treatments and there is no difference. I can still see the worms on my angels. If anything it's just worse. My 5" boesmani also just died this morning with no visible worms. I just don't know what to do at this point. Please help.

I completed my first week of treatments and there is no difference. I can still see the worms on my angels. If anything it's just worse. My 5" boesmani also just died this morning with no visible worms. I just don't know what to do at this point. Please help.

Email INKMR for levamisole or flubendazole:
Levamisole, Flubendazole & other chemicals for the aquarium

Here is a Canadian source for levamisole:

http://www.canadavet.com/Worm-Enda-Poultry-Wormer-125-ml-P267C149.aspx

or

http://www.canadavet.com/Worm-Enda-Plus-30-ml-P161C149.aspx

I would go for the one for birds since the one for dogs may contain other additives. You can call and ask for the list of ingredients before you buy.

I'm about to start treatment for these as well. I'm using Levamisole, the same type sold by INKMR to treat the water column. You really have to treat the whole tank, not just with food. The problem is once you see the worms from the fishes vent it's too late. They are dropping eggs already. So you have to treat the water column once to kill the worms in your fish, then once again about 3 weeks later to kill any eggs or newborns before they mature.

I am also feeding my fish the flakes from Angels Plus though in between treatments of the water column just to make sure I get everything completely.

I've done a lot of research lately on treating this so if you have questions let me know!

I'm about to start treatment for these as well. I'm using Levamisole, the same type sold by INKMR to treat the water column. You really have to treat the whole tank, not just with food. The problem is once you see the worms from the fishes vent it's too late. They are dropping eggs already. So you have to treat the water column once to kill the worms in your fish, then once again about 3 weeks later to kill any eggs or newborns before they mature.

I am also feeding my fish the flakes from Angels Plus though in between treatments of the water column just to make sure I get everything completely.

I've done a lot of research lately on treating this so if you have questions let me know!

Do you think the worm enda recommended above would work? How about dosing?

Do you think the worm enda recommended above would work? How about dosing?

If it were me, I'd get the Levamisole powder and treat the whole tank. By the time you can see the worms hanging out, it's too late and the tank is infected as they are dropping eggs all over. A new batch of babies will be swimming around in 3 weeks or less. The treatment should be whole tank for 3 days to kill off the worms inside followed by a complete water change (as close as you can come) and the best gravel vacuuming of your life to get as many dead and eggs as you can. Treat again the same way in 3 weeks to kill any leftovers that hatched and you should be free and clear.

The food is a good way to treat quarantined new fish though and I'm using it for between water column treatments just to be sure I got them all inside the fish.

If it were me, I'd get the Levamisole powder and treat the whole tank. By the time you can see the worms hanging out, it's too late and the tank is infected as they are dropping eggs all over. A new batch of babies will be swimming around in 3 weeks or less. The treatment should be whole tank for 3 days to kill off the worms inside followed by a complete water change (as close as you can come) and the best gravel vacuuming of your life to get as many dead and eggs as you can. Treat again the same way in 3 weeks to kill any leftovers that hatched and you should be free and clear.

The food is a good way to treat quarantined new fish though and I'm using it for between water column treatments just to be sure I got them all inside the fish.

I actually live in canada so don't have access to the powder. Could I use the worm enda to treat the water?

I assume you could since it's meant for in water treatment but I'd have no idea of the measurement or effectiveness because it's different levels of levamisole and has other active ingredients.

Sadly my black angel died tonight. I started a second treatment session this morning. I'm thinking that the rainbow that died in my 55 died because of an overdose, and since I can't see worms in the 55 that I caught them early enough to save. I hope! Does that make sense? As for my 29 I hope that the fenben works if not I may have to consider other options. I will see how my remaining angels looks after the second treatment. I'll keep you guys up to date on any progress. Thanks again for all your help!

Sorry to here about your angel. The only way to be sure would be to open the angel up to look for worms if you're willing to do that.

I actually just started treatment of my tank last night. Dosed them around 7pm with Levamisole and covered the tank with towels to keep it dark so as not to stress them. I checked briefly this morning and only my rams who are infested with mature worms are affected. All other fish are swimming, going about their business. The rams are on the floor passing the worms. I could see one coming out of each of them. I assume they are on the floor as it is a strain to rid them.

Hoping to see some more life from them when I come home from work tonight. I'll update you here as well so as to confirm this treatment is successful or not.

Hopefully you can obtain some Levamisole.

Back
Top Bottom