Camallanus worms and Krib Fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed some worms sticking out of the anus of a Bolivian Ram. It appears to be Camallanus worms. I currently have a pair of Kribs with fry prancing around my community tank.

I'm reading that levamazole is the weapon of choice. Will this hurt my fry? :(

thanks!

Ardynas said:
I noticed some worms sticking out of the anus of a Bolivian Ram. It appears to be Camallanus worms. I currently have a pair of Kribs with fry prancing around my community tank.

I'm reading that levamazole is the weapon of choice. Will this hurt my fry? :(

thanks!

I used that and it cured my fish in about a day. They have never come back. I wasted my time on a lot of other medicine and lost some in the process. This is the medication to use and it wont hurt your fish. I even through it in the other day cause I think I have internal parasites. It worked so good the first time thought what the heck ill give it a try. Don't be scared of it. It wont harm your fish.

Lifeoffroad said:
I used that and it cured my fish in about a day. They have never come back. I wasted my time on a lot of other medicine and lost some in the process. This is the medication to use and it wont hurt your fish. I even through it in the other day cause I think I have internal parasites. It worked so good the first time thought what the heck ill give it a try. Don't be scared of it. It wont harm your fish.

Sorry I dint read about the fry. Im not site about the fry but its supposed to be pretty gentle. I was even told by the guy that I could use it as a preventative. Most LFS don't know about it either. Maybe since it doesn't take long to tray you can remove them but the fry almost for sure have them its highly contagious. Your best bet is to treat them all.

Ardynas said:
Tank is 150 gal

Wow well for mine @55 gallons I used a quarter of a teaspoon once. Then I preformed a good gravel clean and used another quarter of a teaspoon a week later. That should be all you need. I had them bad to. Obviously your dose would be more. For a 150 gallon.

Also, the product could be used as a preventative for adding new fish.

Lifeoffroad said:
Wow well for mine @55 gallons I used a quarter of a teaspoon once. Then I preformed a good gravel clean and used another quarter of a teaspoon a week later. That should be all you need. I had them bad to. Obviously your dose would be more. For a 150 gallon.

Also, the product could be used as a preventative for adding new fish.

I read the links and im not sure you will be able to follow it. My package was huge. There's no way I would use one pack for 100 gallons. I would maybe do a whole teaspoon or if your a cautious person like me maybe three quarters of a teaspoon.

Lifeoffroad said:
I read the links and im not sure you will be able to follow it. My package was huge. There's no way I would use one pack for 100 gallons. I would maybe do a whole teaspoon or if your a cautious person like me maybe three quarters of a teaspoon.

That setup looks difficult. Are you just getting the powder? I got mine on ebay in just a large packet of powder so maybe you should follow the instructions they give you. Mine wasn't marine grade or anything. Mine was strait goat dewormer.

I received three 5 gm packages. I diluted 1.5 packages to aquarium water and added it.

Really kind of scary. My Bala Sharks are all twitching and my female krib is acting a little odd. Hopefully they will get used to it at least I hope I don't lose any fish.

Ardynas said:
I received three 5 gm packages. I diluted 1.5 packages to aquarium water and added it.

Really kind of scary. My Bala Sharks are all twitching and my female krib is acting a little odd. Hopefully they will get used to it at least I hope I don't lose any fish.

Yeah I actually lost some if my fish but I think its because I mixed medications. But I was desperate. Like I said I had it bad. If you don't mix medication you should be good.

Its supposed to be good and safe medication. I read somewhere that it improves the health in fish that don't have the worms. Unfortunately you have to treat the whole tank as if one has them its almost guaranteed they all do.

Ardynas said:
The instructions say to leave it in two nights and on the third day do a water change to remove treatment and dead nematodes. I'll post results.

Yeah do what the instructions say cause it looks different than what I got. But I left mine in for a week, did a water change to remove worms that came out and reapplied medication to kill off anything in the water. I left that in fir another week and did a good gravel clean. I don't think you need to worry about water change to remove the treatment once you put the carbon back in it will cycle it out fir you.

Mumma.of.two said:
I just saw your thread. I've used it to treat camalanus worms before. Worked wonders. :)

Oh and good luck!

Just goes to show how many fisheries have camalanus worms, they were not that common before now they are spreading like crazy.

I just saw your thread. I've used it to treat camalanus worms before. Worked wonders. :)

Oh and good luck!

Thanks.

My kribs started acting a little strange after I added the levamazole.
Then the female Krib started acting aggressive towards the male and then started chasing the fry away.

After what seemed like a small spat between the couple, the female is now displaying for the male again. However, the fry are dispersed hiding in the gravel. That's going to be a problem when I start vacuuming.

Not really sure if the medicine is triggering the kribs emotions but they appear to be warming up for another spawn.

Mumma.of.two said:
They might be feeling better. It works fairly fast, within a few hours.

Agreed. And if you dont want to vaccum the gravel right away just introduce your carbon filter. It will allow the medication to get absorbed and you can vaccum the worm remains once the fry return to normal. Or scoop the fry out to do the gravel clean.

Batt4Christ said:
That stuff works!

Heck yeah it does. I had a fish on his way out from that crap. Cured him and now hes king of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom