Can anyone help me identify this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is your water change schedule? What size tank? What other fish, if any, do you have? Is the fish a gold barb? These things will help people figure out what caused the problem and the best way to treat it. Please look at the sticky for the unhealthy fish section that says what info needs to be included in your post in order for us to help you!:)

Yes he is a barb and he has been living alone in a ten gallon planted tank for about a year because he is very aggressive toward my other fish. My water tested okay with the nitrates being a little high about 10 ppm. I do about 25% water changes every week. I moved him into a three gallon tank when I noticed the white patch so I could treat him without harming my plants. He seems fine swimming around and he's still eating I feed him TetraMin granules which he seems to like. Oh yeah and both tanks have filters but they are just the filters that came with the tanks. Mahalo, I hope this helps you help me.

Okay when my fish got sick about a month ago I did a lot if reading on what it was and how to treat it. I did what it told me to do on the box and it didn't help. It seem to make things worse. So I cranked the temp up and did 60 to 75% water changes every night with in a week my fish were getting back to normal. I didn't lose any fish. Oh I'm sorry I also added some aquarium salt to the tank and did a salt dip on one of them. He was on his last leg. He was floating in a plant I have at the top of the tank. I had never done a salt dip before but I though I should at least try he's already almost dead. I put him in a small container with salt for about 3 min and the put him back in the tank the next day he was swimming around and I still have him.

Thanks for helping Jolene85, did your fish have that white patch on its head. It's weird because it's not fuzzy or anything. I did a 50% water change today and I'll try and move my heater into the 3 gallon and add some aquarium salt tomorrow although I don't have a heater that you can control the setting so I'm not sure if it will help but I'm willing to try anything. He seems to be a tough little guy so let's hope he can recover.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388895786.751159.jpg see the white spot? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388896584.832254.jpg this is about a week later with just wc and some salt. Not the one that I dipped.

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just letting you know what worked for me. I did it that way because it worked when my fish got ick and that's the treatment i did and like you is was willing to do anything to save my fish. You can get kinda lost in what to do and what is it you are trying to treat and it can be so confusing. When I was reading I was sure I was going to crash my tank. The first time I added salt I had one fish flipping head over tail because it was to much salt so I did another 30% wc that night after I already did about 50%. He's still alive tho too. My poor fish! And I did what it said on the back of the package to do for sick fish. Next time I only added enough for normal fish. The spot on my fish was kinda fuzzy. My temp was at 84 too. What do you keep the temp at now? If he is still eating he's doing good. My guys stopped eating. Sucked it in and spit it back out. I'm not an expert I just wing it! Hope it works for you!! Good luck

I understand no worries. It sure looks like the same thing. Did you figure out what it was?

Nope still don't know. I had so much going on in the tank at the same time. Oh goodness! One fish had red lines on his Gil's and fins. Then the picture I posted of the white spot. The one who got the salt looked like he had fin rot. I had another one that looked like his gills was gone on part if it. Everything I looked up said each one was a different disease so I didn't know what was going on or what to do. And like I said the meds didn't seem to be working AT ALL! I do know what happened to cause all of this or at least I think. I did a wc with water that wasn't at the same temp of the tank and I think it stressed them and caused an epidemic!

I know what you mean. I love my aquarium and it's so peaceful to watch my fish but having an aquarium is a lot of work. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

When you REALLY get into tanks it is a lot. Some of the people on this are really smart about tanks. I though I was doing good with my fish (because they are alive) but when you really get into it it's a lot of knowledge to soak in and it can make you feel like you don't know jack. Well I know that's how I felt! Lmao! I hope your fish friend pulls through!

Back
Top Bottom