Can Deformed Fish Ever Be Put Back in Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2tanks4me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 3" Black Moor that got sick & lost her left eye. She seems to get well, her eye socket scaled over & wuz doing well, no more stringy waste, fins grew back, was beautiful, except for missing eye. She was out of big tank in 5gal hospital tank alone for 4-5 weeks. When I put her back in big tank rest of fish, especially my Koi began to attack her & had to put her back in hosp tank. They had never attacked her before she got sick & was removed. Will I ever be able to put her back in my main tank or will she have to stay in a tank by herself??

Thanks for any help :)

Welcome to the forum.

If the other fish in the tank are attacking it then probably not. I have a koi in my pond but he doesn't mess with anything including mosquitofish and sunfish. What size is the tank and what all is in it?

50 gal tank 1 koi 10", 3 comets 6" 1 comet 4", 2 bluegill 3", 1 bristlenose algae eater none of them ever bothered her til after she got sick

Ah. Yeah fish tend to pick on weak ones, especially in a cramped tank. That particular setup has alot of potential issues, primarily being the adult sizes of the fish. So as they mature there may be more and more issues popping up.

I agree with jeta. More problems are going to occur as those fish get larger. Most of them are ideally pond fish. Moors have trouble competing for food at the best if times. They don't see very well with two eyes let alone one. I'd suggest getting him his own tank with another fancy goldfish for company. He'll need a 20g for him or a 30g for him and a friend.

Oh ok thanks, bought tank used & every fish except the Black Moor wuz in it when I got it. I bought 2 Black Moors few weeks later but they were both sick when I got them I think because this 1 showed signs like 2 or 3 weeks later & the other 1 showed signs few days later. Odd thing is other Black Moor died next day, just seemed 2 fall apart over nite & this 1 even tho it list an eye now seems fine

Definitely then she gets a new home, I wont try again to put her back in the main tank. Will she be ok in the 5 gal hospital tank til I can get something bigger in few weeks?

They can survive and thrive with only one eye. I have a moor that blind in one eye and still functions as normal. I do have to make sure he gets enough food. Good tank mates for your guy would be another slow moving fancy goldfish (double tail).
A few things could have happened to your moors. Being out competed for food by the faster single tailed fish is a possibility. Issues with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is another. Old tank syndrome comes to mind. You might want to google that. Being sick from the store can happen also.
It might be a good idea to look into rehoming your other fish to a pond. Koi have the potential to reach 36 inches and common & comet goldfish can reach 18 inches.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

2tanks4me said:
Definitely then she gets a new home, I wont try again to put her back in the main tank. Will she be ok in the 5 gal hospital tank til I can get something bigger in few weeks?

How big is she? She's been in there for weeks already so would be use to is by now. As long as you keep the water clean it should be fine for a few weeks until you find a new tank.

I had been wonderin if the tank was overpopulated, but like I said they were all in the tank when I bought it & except for those tiny 1 or 2 gal tanks when I was a kid this is my 1st aquarium. Thanks to u both for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom