Can fish have heart attacks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wroberson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was sitting here at the computer at 20:08 and there was this loud splashing sound. There were about 5 splashes. I turn about and the barb was upside down motionless. There was some activity in the fins. I netted the fish and looked around the back top left corner. There's a 6cm gap between the edge of the tank and the glass top. Cob webs in the corner above the tank.

I checked the fish for injuries and could even find a missing scale. Included is a picture of the deceased.
EDIT:
at second glance there is a red mark at the fin on right side of fish. I don;t think it was attacked, but might have gotten stuck 1/2 in 1/2 out of the tank at first "splash", the remaining splashes may have been fish struggling to get unstuck. Possible drowning, shock death.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
Dennison Barb
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
Amoonia 0 Nitraites 0 Nitrates 40 Temp 80 Ph 7.5 Phosphate .5
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
125 Gallon Glass
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number
2 HOB filters 1 EX70 1 Marlineland 350 1250 GPH total
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
16 total Rainbow Fish 4" Dennison Barbs 6" Betta 1" Redtail Shark 5" Flying Foxes 3" Clown Loach 3" Angelfish 4"
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
Monday 30% 3 changes in last 15 days.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
28+ months per the fish in question
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Just started dosing plants this month with Flourish iron, trace, and potassium trace 40ml, iron 15ml potassium 45ml total over 35 days
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
HBH Veggie, Nutrafin, Omega one brine shrimp nothing special no treats in 2 months treat= fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds.

Open to any opinions suggestions for prevention.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom