Can I add salt in an aquarium if I have a bamboo shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenjen1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I asked this in another forum but wanted to see if more people could offer me more advice...

I've had the worst luck with my aquarium these past few weeks.

I have an outbreak of ick in my fish tank and am trying the heat method. I read that bamboo shrimp can live up to 85 degrees so I am hoping that it'll be able to handle that. Currently I have 2 mollies and had to do an emergency water change as some people, I don't know if it was accidental or on purpose, put lotion in my tank and it killed all of my tetras.
My mollies have a lot of little specs to the point that they look fuzzy. I wanted to see if I can also add the aquarium salt and hopefully it'll be successful in removing the ich, along with the heat. I, however, don't know if my bamboo shrimp will be okay with the salt and was wondering if anyone had any experience in this or advice?
I want to avoid putting him in another tank as he might carry it but I know it doesn't affect him.
Also, I do have a few live plants in my tank.

I always added a tablespoon of marine salt to my freshwater 10 gallon aquarium that housed my bamboo and ghost shrimp, it aided in keeping his molting cycle in place and never harmed them. I therefore assume like ABee said it should be fine.

Hello jen...

Standard aquarium salt in small doses is safe for your fish, plants and shrimp. Livebearers like your Mollies prefer a little. Keep the dose to a teaspoon or a bit more to every 5 gallons of your treated replacement water and the tank inhabitants will appreciate it.

B

Thank you guys. I will go get some salt today and add a little. Someone told me to do like a dip for my fish. Where I would put them in water with salt for a minute and them put them back in their regular tank. I've been increasing the heat little by little and this morning my fish look more active.

Back
Top Bottom