Can I sue Petsmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonger

Aquarium Advice Regular
My deformed barb is now losing his top fin and you can now see blood. I'm pretty sure he has TB. He has a deformed spine and chubby looking and is now losing his top fin. I can't even get him out of the tank because he is quick at getting away from my net. He always eats, but now stays to himself and always looks sluggish unless it's feeding time. If I were to catch TB from this fish Petsmart sold me, can I sue them??? I didn't even know about this disease until I saw this website. I'm very stressed over all of this. If he has TB.. what do I do with the tank??

i think the chances of you catching tb from a fish that has it are slim as long as you keep basic hygenie

if im wrong someone correct me

BTW i think it would be hard to prove the that they new the fish was sick before you bought it. Plus they could argue that teh fish got sick in your tank.

I just can't believe that a chain as large as Petsmart would sell me a fish that has a disease that is dangerous to humans.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I called the Petsmart and they told me to bring the fish back, but it may have already done the damage. He also told me that none of the fish they sell has ever had TB because they buy them very young from one breeder(his explanation), according to him. Am I worrying over nothing?

fishmonger said:
Any suggestions on what I should do? I called the Petsmart and they told me to bring the fish back, but it may have already done the damage. He also told me that none of the fish they sell has ever had TB because they buy them very young from one breeder(his explanation), according to him. Am I worrying over nothing?

Likely. Just wash your hands after dealing with him (like you should anyway), and you should be fine.

Stress is bad for fish, and stress is bad for people. Caution good, panic bad. Just take it one day at a time, and if you're that concerned, see a doctor.

i worked at different petstores including petsmart for years ive pulled out over a couple hundred dead fish in my day some died from disease others old age others who knows why, ive never had a problem with TB

I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments. I did call Petsmart and they were quite concerned. Hopefully it's not TB and I'm pretty sure by what they told me that it's not TB. Anyway, I'll stick it out.

Back
Top Bottom