Can my fish who is the only survivor of Columnaris move into a tank with healthy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
Okay I have a question. I had a Columnaris outbreak in my five gallon in the beginning of September. I lost a lot of fish. My Asian Algae Eater was one that made it.

First of all the AAE is in a five gallon because of how territorial and aggressive he was being in my 55 gallon tank.
He was sold to me as an Ottocinculus so I had him in the original five gallon. When I realized what he was I moved him into the 55. He was mainly picking on my Bichir. Sucking on his scales and not leaving him alone.

I tried to rehome him but no one wanted him. I decided to move him back into the five gallon. He had never bothered the Betta or the guppies that were in there he was just cramped for space.

Right after I moved him I noticed that my guppies were sick. I treated everyone but soon I realized I was dealing with Columnaris. I thought for sure The AAE was a goner but he somehow pulled through. As of now (two months later)he is minus an eye and he now has an extremely calm demeanor.

I got a new Betta last week and now he is bothering the AAE basically stealing all his food and bloating himself on the extra food he shouldn’t even be eating. AAE for some reason now does not care and let’s him take all his food. They basically hang out together on the bottom. Before if someone stole his food or got anywhere near him they would be attacked. So my question is can I safely move the AAE back to the 55? He was a juvenile when I got him and is now growing bigger and can’t be in a five gallon much longer. I didn’t know if he could still carry or transmit Columnaris.

My original plan was to get him a 30gallon and put him in there. In the meantime though while I work that out is he okay to be with other healthy fish? I posted here about Columnaris around September 13 I think? So it’s over two months. One eye is gone and the other is cloudy. Other than that I don’t notice any spots on his body or bloating. The only thing I notice is his aggression level is way down. That’s why I want to try him in the 55 again.

Thanks

Hello Sci...

A fish that was sick and has recovered won't harm healthy fish in pure water conditions. If you're taking great care of your tank by removing and replacing half or more of the water weekly and not over feeding the fish, you have nothing to worry about. The problems begin with missed water changes. If you take good care of the water the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B

Okay that sounds good. I’ll move my AAE tomorrow. My tanks always get a weekly 60% water change. However the two guppies I had in the five gallon dumped a huge delivery of babies. I think that’s how the Columnaris started. I thought I could handle them all by overfiltering and two large water changes a week. Will be separating male and female guppies from now on. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom