Can my Oscar be depressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roboat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this possible? He's 3 1/2 years old and I had him at my office in a 29 gal tank. I've mentioned in another post that my job is ending the end of this month, and he definitly outgrew his tank, so I bought a 75 gal tank and set it up for him at home about 2 months ago. Everything was great...he was swimming, playing, eating and doing fine. I even bought him some tank buddies and everything was great. But, last week he just seemed to go into a slump. He's not eating, and just kind of hangs around, not being himself at all. There is no fungus, velvet, HITH or anything like that, and his color is good. I tested the water and the levels are fine, but I did a 15 gal water change and vacummed the gravel anyway. The temp did rise up to around 82 degrees last week, we had a hot spell and the room got warm, but I've since gotten that under control. I thought maybe that had something to do with his 'mood'...I keep the tank at 78 degrees maximum. I dunno, I'm getting worried. Any ideas? :(

personally I think its possible, my oscars ignore me if I don't come say hello as soon as I get home. But if I do they get all excited and 'wag' they're tails much like a dog..

3 1/2 years in a 29 gallon Im shocked he's still alvie. What kind of "tank buddies did you get him? One of them may be pickenig on him. Oscars are very pouty fish and he may just be poutting from being moved from the tank he was in for 3+ years.

3 1/2 years in a 29 gallon Im shocked he's still alvie.

I know...he was a tiny baby when we got him, but it wasn't long before I realized what we had done, (my coworker and I)..every day I checked levels, cleaned filters and he was never sick. I couldn't get a bigger tank, I work in a computer room and people couldn't believe I got away with any form of water in there as it was..LOL! But, I knew he needed to get out of there, it was only a matter of time.

I never see the others pick on him, actually they all kind of ignore him. Maybe he's just pouting 'cause he's used to being king of the tank, now he's got competition. I always say hi to him and he comes right to me. Today he took some food, but then he spit it out.

His new tank mates consist of 1 jack dempsey, 1 crown jewel, 2 convicts, 1 clown knife, and a pleco. I added them gradually, so hopefully he would get used to having company.

First thing I do when i see a change in behaviour that could be the beginning of disease is a massive water change (at least 50%), perhaps daily for several days. People I know who keep lots of tanks, and lots of varieties of fish, do this at the first sign something is amiss. It is considered cheap insurance, regardless of what the test kits tell you.

What ever the problem, rule out illness first. Are his gills working at a normal rate? Could he of got something lodged in his mouth? Whats in the new tank? (anything sus?) Are there plastic plants? (bits of these can get lodged). Check everything you can think of regarding things that can effect his health then move out from there. For example, is there a difference in the water chemistry between work and home?
Is your avatar the guy? If it is, he is a great looking fish!

Yes, that's him...thank you, I think he's quite handsome myself! :lol:

I do have fake plants in the tank. I just looked at his gills closely and they do seem to be working harder. If there is something lodged, how would I dislodge it? He ate today, but now I'm worried cause he seemed to spit a lot of it out. When I bought him I was told to use fake plants cause he'll just destroy the real ones. The water chemistry may be a bit different. I have a well here at home, and at work his tank was filled with plain tap water, sometimes I would sneak a bottle of the water cooler water when I could. I cycled the tank for a month before bringing him home.

I would hate to suggest a way to dislodge anything incase it ends in disaster :( If this is the case, then he looks depressed because he is working on getting rid of it himself. He should be able to. How long has he been in the new tank?

Good news! When I woke up this morning he was completely himself again, all tail waggie and hungry. He ate like a little pig, and didn't 'expel' any of it! His gills are back to a normal rate and he seems fine. I guess whatever it was he did manage to get rid of it. I want thank you all for your advice, this is a great site.
He's been in the new tank about a month now.
Well, I'm off to the boat , I'll be back later on tomorrow. Thanks again! :D

Ro

I thought a 75 would be perfect for him? The oscar started out in a 29 but is now in a 75, according to the previous posts. Did you mean one bigger than that?

I think greenmagi misunderstood my previous posts. He is no longer in the 29 gal, he is now in a 75 gal and has plenty of room to roam, and outside of this little scare he gave me, he's back to himself and seems perfectly happy with life, once again!

Ro

Roboat said:
I think greenmagi misunderstood my previous posts. He is no longer in the 29 gal, he is now in a 75 gal and has plenty of room to roam, and outside of this little scare he gave me, he's back to himself and seems perfectly happy with life, once again!

Ro

Yes, I must have missed your previous posts.. A 75 gallon is a great size tank for Oscars.. :D

good to see he's doing well..
first time i've seen an oscar identical to mine in character and colour...
Thats why he/she is named Oscar the Grouch :D

His (or her), name is also Oscar, only because I just started calling him /her that the day I bought him. No too original on my part, eh? My other fish are just as original....

2 convicts - Bonnie and Clyde
1 jewel - Julie
1 Jack Dempsey - JD
1 pleco - no name, yet...poor thing!
1 clown knife - Poindexter, that little face on that huge body, it just had to be! :D

haha
I'm in a similar boat..

Oscar the Grouch.
Tigger the Tiger oscar
Puss the Catfish
Dollar 60 the Silver Dollar.
Bazza and Gazza the Barramundi
Casper the friendly Ghost Knife Fish.
Gave away Nemo the red albino oscar
and Bert and Ernie the Red Zebra and Blue thing passed sum time ago..
Theres also Crabby the Yabbie, and his girlfriend Blue.
Haha my kids named them all..Except for Bazza and Gazza.
which probably should be Bazzie and Gazzie, as they're female, but eventually they turn male anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom