Can someone please help me, tiger barbs with open mouths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

serenahec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. Im not too familiar with fish diseases here with freshwater fish. My landlord has a 55 gallon tank and today when I was over there her tiger barbs (3 of 4) have their mouths open forming an "o" in which they cannot shut nor can they eat. I feel so bad for them. Any experience with this? What is it? Can anything be done now? ANY help appreciated. She said she does water changes sometimes (which probably isnt that often) and just tops off her freshwater. I personally think her tank is WAYYYYYYYYYYY over stocked, they must have about 50 some fish in there. So what can be done, I just feel so bad for them! Thank you for your help!

PROBABLY a mouth fungus. Get Jungle Fungus Clear....the fizzy tabs....it works like a champ!! (No...for those of you who are curious...I do NOT work for Jungle! LOL!) I had a similar problem with my Tiger Barbs and it cleared them right up. I used them in my 26 gal with loaches and had no problems.

You should also have her take a water sample to your local lfs and see if they'll test it. I suspect you'll find that it is extremely hard and that the Nitrate level is very high. Help her do a 25% water change, if you don't mind putting out the time and effort. The fish will love you for it.

Back
Top Bottom