Can the light burn a fishes fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brry

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I'm starting to notice that every time I leave the aquarium light on, next time I check again one or more of my fish seem to be missing a bit of their fin or tail.

This never happens unless I have left the light on. Is the light getting to hot and "burning" them? Like, maybe the glass gets too hot?

I only have peaceful fish, like guppies and tetras. I've never seen one bite or nip another.

What kinds of tetras do you have? Some of the more active tetra species can be a little nippy.

How long are you leaving it on for?
At a glance, I am inclined to say it is more likely somebody gets nippy. I have never personally heard`of the glass getting hot, your light really shouldn't be strong enough to over-heat everything that much. But, even peaceful fish can be nippy and have disputes. :) How many of each do you have? Sometimes tetra can bicker. My rummies bicker sometimes for a little bit, but then just go back to schooling like normal.

Back
Top Bottom