Can you ID these? Beginner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MylesMom08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so I am new! I am currently on FishForums under the same name, and recently posted this exact question, and I never post on multiple sites, however I feel like this is an emergency and I need advice and Im pretty sure everyone is sleeping on the other site lol! :confused:

Help! Today I was staring at my aquariums longer than normal due to my platy giving birth in my 5 gallon (next to my 55 - sharing an air pump) and I looked over at my 55 and noticed one of my panda cory was getting nipped at by the platies. This obviously alarmed me, as my platies usually swim up and down the tank walls with all my cories as well as school with them, being very peaceful. Upon closer examination, I seen why. The only physical symptoms he showed was a red splotch next to where his right fin meets his body, almost like internal bleeding, about the size of a pea, and his barbels were almost non existent (which is strange to me, keep reading..). I did not want to move him and stress him out, so I distracted my platies with some live worms in their feeding cone.

20 minutes later, he was dead. I was alarmed, so I did a quick water test and everything came back fine (Ammonia - 0; NitrIte - 0; Nitrate - 20; pH - 7.4). I decided to do a water change incase of disease, so I did a 50% water change with sand surface cleaning and new filter floss and as a safe guard, removed my purigen and added Seachems Paraguard for sterilization. while I was cleaning, I noticed my baby panda cory was missing the points of his tail! AND, not only that, it is covered in like a moldy fuzz! Now this is why I am confused.. The adult panda who died with the red spot had no fuzz on him at all, yet my baby seems to be growing it?? AND THEN! My Betta, who battled fin rot months ago, seems to have it back? Yet, this is all happening so fast that I am confused as what to treat them for! It feels like fungus, bacterial, parasite, etc..??

Ok.. more info.. I have been staring at my tank now for hours (partly out of bordem, partly out of observation) and I can see what looks almost like clear dead black worms which would make sense since I feed them that twice a week, except now I am overly paranoid and figured I should throw it out there so I can give as much info as possible. BTW this tank has been established for months, I mean no new fish for at least two months, never any illnesses except the betta with finrot who was treated before I added anymore fish. I also threw in 2 large indian almond leaves just because, what the heck, ya know?

I currently have on hand:
--Seachems Metronidazole
--Seachems Focus
--Seachems Paraguard
--Tetra Parasite Guard Tabs are in the mail right now and to be here Wednesday!

**If pictures are needed, I will try my best to get the best angle possible, however I havent uploaded any because my betta and panda are hiding under my bubble wall right now. If I have to disturb them and get them to move I will though.

Will Paraguard + IAL help for all this?? Is there any use in the Parasite Tabs? I looked everywhere but I couldnt find all the mixed symptoms in one post.. I need advise. I call this my beginners mistake because I have been so caught up in my pregnant Platy getting ready to drop all week (my first fish babies) that I may have missed any symptoms my fish could have showed me. I feel like a horrible fish mother right now letting petty stuff get the best of my usually observent care, because I did neglect the 55 gallon for a week (aside from small 5% sand cleanings here and there and the daily feedings). Ugh!!!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). ** Cory Panda - missing part of tail with moldy growth; Betta with possible fin rot?
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. ** Ammonia/Nitrite: 0; Nitrate: 20; pH 7.4; Temp: 80.7
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? **55 gallon/4 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. **Aquaclear 110; 500 gph; 2 bio foams, 1 biomedia, (seacheams purigen but is removed at the moment); filter floss
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? ** -6 False Julie Cory
-6 Panda Cory
-5 Platy
-4 Betta (Female)
-1 Betta (Male)
-1 Bristlenose Pleco
-1 Apple Snail
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? ** About 8 hours ago 50% with full sand surface vaccum; usual routine is 1-2 a week 25% water change; about 2-3 times a week I do a 5% water change to pick up my messy platies wastes - just a quick spot treatment ontop of the sand
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? ** No new fish for months
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? ** I redecorate often, about every 3 weeks I might remove a decoration or add one, but it is always boiled and bleached before hand and rinsed throughly. At the perticular moment, I have not changed the tank in about 3-4 weeks though
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
** I mix up my food everyday, but nothing new has been introduced in months. Sinking algae wafers, sinking shrimp pellets, bella pellets, frozen blood worms, frozen BBS, live black worms, peas, zucchini, lettuce, all garlic guard and vita-chem 5x a week

img_2584439_0_52062779477f16915df136b559569eef.jpg

img_2584439_1_7b7a66cd57659733b3eac18a63f05129.jpg

img_2584439_2_164cf88ff54fb5840d3695e269b0d1ab.jpg

img_2584439_3_4b4acf8009a7fa899fd9ebb7735f7751.jpg

img_2584439_4_b650fffb2efd5c68161d479a04e6194e.jpg

img_2584439_5_07cf30a8fb87876e759d257bb980f05a.jpg

img_2584439_6_02ed3e9f8ee62887a2c9ac86894b4733.jpg

Yeah, I love the stuff! I doesnt cloud the aquarium or turn it colors. Do you think this may help? Btw, another adult cory panda died today for no known reason? :( :(

I think you need to determine what these fish have what will treat said illness and quarentine. Mixing medications is dangerous.
Since you know what the betta has I would suggest removing him and treating the other fish in his tank.

The metronidazole is effective for both bacteria and parasites. It does look like your cory might have a fungal infection on his tail though.

Yeah I checked the heater, its doing its job. (It better be, since I just bought it cuz my old one broke last week lol). Im sorry to say the baby panda passed away, along with another adult panda :( That makes 3 pandas in less than a week! Its weird because my False Juliees are doing great?

I don't mix medications though. Im in med school for my BSN, so I know what the medications due, due to the ingredients, however I don't know how to ID fish diseases. Im going to use the Tetra Parasite Guard this week and see if it helps. Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom