Can't figure out what the problem is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beckaboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 g fully cycled tank with a penguin 150 bio wheel and an air stone. Water tests are reading well, Ph 7.8, Amonia, Nitrates and Nitrites 0.

I have one felmale platty that I've had since September who a few days ago started just hanging out around the surface. Pretty much all of the time. Just hanging out. She will still eat, but mostly stays at the surface except for the occasional venture around the tank.

I did a partial water change even though levels looked good. No change in her behavour, and tests are still reading the same.

Yesterday, one of my male plattys joined her and has been by her side ever since. She does not look pregnant, if anything, rather thin, as does her male friend.
Today, her fins seemed to be "clamped", but the male's fins still seem to be ok. She is still eating, with the occasion tour around the tank, but the fins and tail don't look good. No white spots or any other obvious disease that I can see.
Aside from these two, my other aquatic creatures seem to be doing well. I have two other female plattys, 4 neon tetra and 6 ghost shrimp.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I really don't want to be killing fish if I can avoid it.
Thanks!!

Nitrates 0? Do you have a planted tank?
Clamped fins and skinny fish could mean internal paracites.

Are there any treatments that I could use that would safe even if I'm not sure what I'm dealing with?

A reading of 0 nitrate is strange. Im guessing youre using strips then and nitrate isnt high enough to give a reading. I dont think its any water quality issues or your tetra would be one of the first to complain.

Using meds isnt really advised if other treatments are available, esp trying to treat your fish for something you dont know is there.

Nope went all out for the top of the line test kit. I figured the water wasn't the issue. Any other suggestions? Completely baffled.

Back
Top Bottom