Cant get rid of this Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiskeyD

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month ago my black molly got ich so i QT'd her until 2 days ago. After trying Quick-cure for 3 days with no results i tried the heat + salt method. The whitespots disappeared so i waited 7 days then released her back into the main tank thinking the ick was gone. Well, today i noticed a white bump on the bottom lip of a neon tetra and a bloodfin tetra:(. Im not 100% sure its ich but it makes the most sense and sure looks like it. I want to turn up the heat and add salt to the main tank but im afriad I might harm other fish doing so. I have 5 cory cats, 3 ghost shrimp and 1 bamboo shrimp that im worried about. I know corys dont like salt and im not sure about the shrimp so i dont know how i should cure them. I thought about removing the corys and then heat treating the tank but what about the shrimp, will they be ok with high heat and salt? I dont think i can QT the bamboo shrimp since its a filter feeder and my QT tanks only have sponge filters (no current). I'm really frustrated with this ich!! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well I'm going to move the plants, corycats and shrimp to a 10G with a HOB filter. I hope bamboo shrimp will be ok for a few days with minimal food.

I tried heat and it didnt work for me.... I also tried several types of ich cure and the only result I got (and it worked great) was the API Super ich treatment. I had to treat half doses for twice the amount of time because I had scaleless fish in mine. I don't know what will happen with the shrimp tho. I did lose one neon tetra to it as well but i think after all the time I spent with other cures with no results - it was too late. Good luck my friend.

Heat will work, it takes time and patience. Never tried treating with shrimp. Do not add salt with cories and shrimp. Add extra aeration to the tank while treating. Ich medicines can be lethal to cories and shrimp.

Corycats dont usually get ich right? I had to move the corycats and shrimp in a 10G with 4 guppy fry (3 1/2 weeks old). I really DONT want the fry to get ich since they are some of the last guppys i have left.

Back
Top Bottom