Can't identify if illness or just stress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a platy who I am not sure is diseased or just stressed. Her fins and tail are continuously closed into her body. the best way to the describe it is that she looks cold.

I have looked at a number of sites and can't find anything that approximates her problem. Other than her "skinny" condition she looks normal. It is possible that the scales on her underside are a bit rough - sort of sticking out a little, but it is slight and I can't say for sure whether this is new or not.

I have many other platies and all the rest seem fine. there have been no new introductions to the tank in months.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I have checked the parameters and every is fine... the Ph was a little low, and I know platies don't like that, but it wasn't very low and everyone else seemed fine.

Have you seen her poo? Is it normal? Whenever a fish holds their fins close to their body it usually indicates some form of illness. Her skinny condition makes me think possibly internal parasites. Is she eating normally?

Thanks everyone.

It may have been dropsy, though it was hard to tell because it was just a small part of her that had ruffled scales.

Unfortunately she did not make it. I am not sure how this would have come into my tank in the first place. Even though she is gone, should I be doing something to make sure nothing afflicts the other fish?

Back
Top Bottom