Can't Identify what's wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello AA family. My Kribensis is an extremely outgoing fish, but lately he has decided to spen most the day beneath the sponge on the penguin power head. I'm not sure what's up with him.
I have been closely examining him constantly everyday. He is still eating, and he still protects his turf from the other fish. (he claimed the entire powerhead as his!)

1.5 weeks ago, I noticed he was scratching once in a awhile on the substrate. So I new he must have a parasite. So, I automatically raised the temp to 84-86 degrees F and added salt. Did 25% WC and gravel vac daily for 4 days, adding more salt each time (not much salt though...it's a 30 gallon (and not overstocked because my fish are all small right now and will be moved accordingly as they grow; it's all in the plan ;) ) and I added 3 tsp day 1 again day 2 then 2 tsp day 3 and day 4) I haven't seen him scratch on anything the past couple days, but now he is pretty much hiding most the day.

I am performing 50% WC every 3rd day really getting into the gravel. A lot of white worms squiggling around in my bucket. GROSS! I looked them up and decided they look most closely like the harmless type...can't recall the spelling right now. Backed off on the feeding regimen as they are a sign of over feeding.

He has no outward signs of parasites or fungus(that I can see! He's white and pink with yellow "smudges" here and there which is his natural coloring)

His abdomen looks normal. His gill movement appears to be maybe slightly faster than normal...but I am looking a lot harder now then I have before. Could be the same rate as always I spose.

Anyway, I thought perhaps an internal parasite? I added Roseline Sharks a couple weeks ago. My LFS quarentined them for me for 2 weeks before I brought them home. My QT is too small for them! So, possible they are carrying something that jumped on my Krib! They are healthy as could be!

I bought Parasite Clear Tank Buddies. There was nothing else locally that could clear every parasite...supposedly that's what this stuff will do. I'm scared to use it though. I don't want to hurt my fish!

Here's what's in the tank
6 Roseline Sharks (juveniles ranging between 1.8"-2.3")
1 Betta
1 Kuhli Loach (I moved all the others to a different tank; couldn't catch this one)
1 Kribensis
Various Snails
Live Plants

I thought about moving him to the QT, but I figure if it's parasites, they are in the whole tank so I should treat the tank he's in right?
Anyone used this stuff?

Any advise, experience, things you've heard or read, or just guessing, please offer it up. Anything will help. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hard to tell. I'm assuming that your levels of ammonia and nitrites are good. I don't think that those symptoms are related to a parasite... Maybe the salt levels is affecting him...

If there are not signs but being shy, maybe reduce the salt and see if improves.. Is he eating?

Hard to tell. I'm assuming that your levels of ammonia and nitrites are good. I don't think that those symptoms are related to a parasite... Maybe the salt levels is affecting him...

If there are not signs but being shy, maybe reduce the salt and see if improves.. Is he eating?

Thank you for your help figuring this out. He is eating. I haven't added anymore salt in a few days...I think 6 days??? I need to check the calander to be sure how many days it's been since I added the last salt treatment. Per directions it's 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon, but I didn't put anywhere near that amount totally enough for 9 gallons of water. It's a 30 gallon holding approximately 28 gallons I'd imagine.

I have been doing gravel vacs daily and will continue to do so. Soon the salt level should be nearly gone.

He is still hiding today. Poor baby :confused: I wish I could figure it out and help him! All his needs are being met far as ph, temp, ect. The water is perfect. Had it tested yesterday.

hmmmm....

Maybe it was the introduction if the new fish, he may feel a bit unsure? Hope he gets bk to normal soon

If he is eating, and you still suspect of parasites, it will be better to give him medicated food.
This is the best treatment against INTERNAL Parasites. Jungle or Tetra have a medicated food.

Maybe it was the introduction if the new fish, he may feel a bit unsure? Hope he gets bk to normal soon

I wondered that for a minute...but then recalled that he was fine with them. He ate with them and swam beneath them until he started itching himself and then eventually hiding. Strange isn't it?

If he is eating, and you still suspect of parasites, it will be better to give him medicated food.
This is the best treatment against INTERNAL Parasites. Jungle or Tetra have a medicated food.

Okay I will try that. SHould I move him to the QT or treat the whole tank? It's to my understanding that if it's a parasite everyone most likely is or will be soon affected even without him in the tank. Is that correct?
Also, what if I treat him and I have mis-diagnosed him. WIth the medicine cause harm if he doesn't actually have the parasites?

Lovin Fish said:
Okay I will try that. SHould I move him to the QT or treat the whole tank? It's to my understanding that if it's a parasite everyone most likely is or will be soon affected even without him in the tank. Is that correct?
Also, what if I treat him and I have mis-diagnosed him. WIth the medicine cause harm if he doesn't actually have the parasites?

If you are going to feed it, not need to move him to the QT tank, IME the food doesn't affect a healthy fish,

Okay thanks! I really appreciate it :)

Just an update. Robert has been back to his old self for a bit now and I never dosed any meds! Yeah! I did a rescape in the tank and added some more plants. He has really enjoyed exploring the new surroundings.
Thanks to all that offered some help. :)

Back
Top Bottom