Can't win them all...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferret

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well. New light installed in the 90 gallon. Lo' and behold.. It reveals...

Ick. Lots of.. Ick.

Ick.

Well.

Yeah

Sucks

Ok, I've begun raising the temperature, but not adding salt due to cories which I've researched as being a 'no salt please' fish. Too hard to try to net the infected fish, and its on quite a few, so won't bother with QT.

Ahh well.

Most of the barbs and loaches have it fairly visible. Seen a few dots on the tetras. Can't manage to find all the cories to check them, but I imagine they'd be harder for the ick to get with those armored plates. Gouramis I can't tell, as they're all in 'sleep' mode right now hiding behind plants.

You don't need to add salt IMHO, I did the heattreatments without salt and cured all my fish without loosing but one [ He was the first infected, and had it hard and fast ]

I would try to throw another filter in your tank, tho. 90gal is pretty big, and you may have some temp varriance in certain areas that may hinder your goals.

Are you sure about the corys and salt thing ferret? I'd probably risk it. The tetra are very susceptable to ich. :( :( :(

Well....look on the bright side, ferret....at least you've GOT a bright side now!! :)

You're right about the salt and Corys.....in a study of salt tolerance the Corys were the first to die as the salt concentration got higher.

I still stand by my old tried-and-true routine of increased temperature and 1/2 strength Aquari-Sol. Being a copper-based med, however, make sure that any inverts that you want to keep alive are removed before using it. I've used it on my tank with YoYo Loaches and Burmese Border Loaches without any problems.

My Tetras were the ones that went through the ich, and I did nothing but the heat treatment and they survived, and thrive to this day :)

Well at least you found out now, rather than later.

P.S. I have also heard of cories having problems with salt.

Well, the running tally right now is 1 oto and 1 green tiger barb. Unless if ick or high temps or what though. Still visible ick on barbs and loaches, some on tetras. Whee...

I've also lost my snail and a frog, but not to ick. They 'attacked' the powerhead, and it ..er.. Ate them.

Some fishies are dumb that way. I had a small oscar swim down my standpipe a few months back. What was he thinking? He didn't even look like he'd fit... but somehow forced his way down. Must've thought Santa was down that chimney or something.

What's your temp up to Ferret? Any new news?

My yoyo loaches did fine with salt, in fact I have kept the salt somewhat higher ever since my ich episode.

Yesterday lost 3 more. Odd that they all died in one day. 1 cory, 1 oto, and 1 barb I knew was gonna die, the others shredded it.

On my list to repurchase after ich is completely gone: 1 cory, 2 barbs, 4-6 otos :/ I hope it doesn't get any worse. I haven't seen ich on the loaches in a bit but the barbs still have a bit.

No more loses and no more visible ich. gonna start turning the temp down this weekend.

Whew! That sounds like you came out okay, all things considered. I too am sold on the heat treatment for ich. Interestingly enough it caused my rock formations constructed with aquarium silicone sealant to fail! The stuff softened right up in the presence of the sustained temp of 86F for about 10 days. Makes me really wonder about the seals on the tank itself.

Back
Top Bottom