Cardinal okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkrienke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all - I just noticed that there was a semi-circular white ‘thing’ on one of my cardinal tetras where the tail fin joins the body on the top side of the fish. No other white spots on it or anyone else and it doesn’t really look like ich to me. It almost looks like a tiny fin.??? Can anyone recognize what this is (picture attached)?

30 gallon tank established years ago with 3 glowlight tetras (silver with the orange stripe down the body - not the ones that they sell under black lights). These guys are at least 2 years in the tank. Added 9 cardinal tetras about 3 months ago. All was good and then I bought an albino long finned bristlenose pleco from my local fish store. This was my first unplanned purchase (shame on me). Didn’t realize how much waste they generate, and had a very large ammonia spike in a couple of days (pleco started darting around the tank). Felt terrible. ☹️ Used ammo lock, did a 10 gallon water change, and added a good bacteria starter, and the tank is cycled now and no one died and everyone is behaving normally. Tank is still registering ammonia as I haven’t done enough water changes to rid all of the ammo-locked ammonia quite yet. (Doing 5 gallon changes once a week - only 2 so far since the issue happened). Am showing low levels of nitrite and nitrate at this point.

Thanks for any opinions on what this might be. The fish is acting normally.

Attachments

• 482B0092-D028-4124-A7A2-E9D40502AE54.jpeg
    482B0092-D028-4124-A7A2-E9D40502AE54.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 91
the only thing i can think of is it's an external parasite, maybe a skin worm of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom