Cardinal Tetra lost an eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cspicer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I'm new to the fish owning scene, but I got 5 cardinal tetras and a betta fish a couple days ago, and now one of the tetras only has one eye. The socket looks clean though, no obvious signs of trauma except that the eye is gone. My first thought was that the betta must have hurt the tetra, but they have been so peaceful and civil to each other these couple of days that it doesn't make sense. I am now thinking its possible the other tetras were picking on him, as I saw one of them nipping his tail fin tonight. I'm fairly certain the tetra didn't come to from the pet store this way because tonight is the first time I've noticed him behaving strangely... He's still swimming around, not always with the group and tends to stay kind of lower in the tank... I have noticed him staying still in one spot a couple of times and one time I thought I had lost him cause he was floating with his head at the surface of the water turning back and forth, but then he went off swimming with the group again for a bit. I obviously don't want him to suffer and am worried about his quality of life, but I also don't want to lose him. Any suggestions?

That’s strange. I would think that potentially the beta plucked his eye out. Fish heal quick, so if you were gone for a couple hours it would have healed. And like you said, it would’ve seemed like there was no trauma. Maybe treat with some anti biotic medicine such as “Triple Sulfa” from API. If he does seem to be doing fine and eating he can live a normal and happy life without an eye. But just make sure to keep an eye on him. Pun intended

He's sick and the others know it. That's why they're nipping at him. Personally, I'd euthanize.

Thanks guys. I ended up floating him in a container in the tank overnight to see how he'd do, but unfortunately he didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom