Cardinal tetra lost both its eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know what could have caused one of my 6 cards to lose both it's eyes? Water parameters are ph 6.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <10, temp 78.

I have 3 ottos, one Betta, 6 cards and a few malaysian trumpet snails in a 10 gallon with an ac70filter. The tank is heavily planted too.

Was there any sign of disease like popeye or cloudy eye prior? Or possible a victim of a attack with the targets beings their eyes.

Wow an aqua-clear 70 on a 10 gallon? That's Alot of filtration. I use one on my 36 gallon bow front and turn it down 50 % and it does a good job. I'm kinda speechless that you did that. How's it functioning? Are their any problems besides the cardinal tetras eye?

HUKIT said:
Was there any sign of disease like popeye or cloudy eye prior? Or possible a victim of a attack with the targets beings their eyes.

No there wasn't. Introduced 2 new cards yesterday. And they all looked great, nice bright colors, shoaling. I'm guessing it could be an attack but who coulda have done it? My Betta seem to care less of these guys after he got used to them. However the card with the missing eyes were getting chased by the Betta this morning when I was tryin to remove him from the tank.

Fishkeeper88 said:
Wow an aqua-clear 70 on a 10 gallon? That's Alot of filtration. I use one on my 36 gallon bow front and turn it down 50 % and it does a good job. I'm kinda speechless that you did that. How's it functioning? Are their any problems besides the cardinal tetras eye?

Hahah ya it's quite abit. It's working great for me. Together with all the plants I have, the water parameters stays perfect! But I still do water changes once a week as a precaution. Betta seem to enjoy the current once in a while! :)

And no no sign. But I did lose 2 cards 2 weeks ago. One jumped and one seriously just vanish! Even After an intensive search around and in the tank even in the filter I couldn't find a thing! I have no clue where he is.

I brought 2 cards yesterday because I only had 4 due to the 2 I lost 2 weeks ago. I drip acclimate them for 3 hours so I don't know what happened.

Back
Top Bottom