Cardinal Tetra woth popeye and ? (pics...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm you mentioned part of his lip/mouth being gone and issues with the gills - That sounds like columnaris signs to me. You might want to read into that disease specifically. It's a pretty harsh one and only certain meds will work. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Make sure you have something that works on gram negative bacteria. Fungal mess won't work on columnaris.

I ended up getting Blue Planets Tri-Sulfa.

One more question,

I dosed the last day of Myxazin today.
Tomorrow, should i do a 40% water change and then do the Tri-Sulfa?

Thanks again everyone

Should be fine from blue planet. I came across the same ingredients list as yourself pretty much for myxazin, gave up and emailed waterlife. Fingers crossed they reply.

Normally it is a water change and try the next med. In this case I would leave the myxazin in there and add triple sulpha well. This would try the combination of meds to see if it can make inroads against the infection. Unfortunately there aren't really many antibiotics commonly sold in Australia. I do have a shop link which I'll post tonight but it took a few weeks to arrive.

Did you post tank temp and also ph?

I posted ph, i think its 7.5 but it could be 8.
On the low ph test (api) it comes up as 7.6 (the highest score for low ph)
On the high range ph test, comes up as 7.4 (the lowest score for high ph)
But the high range one is weird, cause the 7.4 can also look like the 8 depending on light and white reflection from the test card. But i think its 7.5, i have wood and Indian Almond leaves to try and lower it.

Im not sure about the blood worms being ok. But sometimes i get little worms from my backyard after it rains, i rinse them under the tap before i give them, could that be a problem? I also had a Otocinclus that died/vanished a week or two ago. My plants are also dying atm, not sure if that has anything to do with anything (playsand substrate, maybe not getting enough minerals. Im looking into plant tabs and maybe that DIY C02 thing)
Ammonia 0.25 (Same as tapwater)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 (when i look down into the test tube from the top, it looks like 40-80 thats probably wrong though lol)

Thanks for the link

I would say any live food I'd be wary of at the moment, anything that is adding organic matter to the tank as you want the water as clean as possible. Frozen, treated food should be ok but I'd only do light feedings as they are sick and won't eat much.

Edit - tetracycline is an antibiotic that can be purchased here however apparently above a ph of 7.5 it is not so effective. I've never had any luck using it.

Keeping temp around 25C may slow it down as well.

Unfortunately the meds will knock the plants around as well.

Last edited:
If you end up heavily Dosing meds depending in the size of the tank you might want to consider taking plants out for a while and floating them in a bucket :/ I know it isn't ideal but like the previous poster mentioned meds are harsh

Not to make more stress, but if your plants are dying there is going to be a bunch of debris in your sand.

If you stir up the substrate a little and start getting gunk, I'd move the betta and plants and really clean the sand. Then proceed with treating the fish.

Even with healthy plants, I always get gunk from the plants out of my sand. But, when they are dying plants, I've found a ton of "melted" plant gunk.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

The plants were dying before the medication. I keep getting rid of the dead leaves and stuff, but i havnt done a WC since medicating.
Ive changed the temp from 25-27 to 24-25.

UPDATE: a different cardinal tetra with a squiggly white line coming from its bottom? Looks like its in its back fin? (Best pic i could take):
http://i.imgur.com/CSYPnpC.jpg

Couldnt get any decent pics but, the Cardinal Tetra's white tail (rot?) has healed and is now a faded white. His back fin rot has stopped and healed abit. He still has a white stomach, that might be there forever. Still has pop-eye, cant tell if its gone down. And is still a loner, but is eating well.

The Pandurini's white spot turned into like a line running down his face a couple days ago and his mouth, i dont know, will his mouth grow back?

http://i.imgur.com/2fvxazv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eWBItR1.jpg

My Pandurini i cant tell if its getting better or worse. It looks tissue-y, ive noticed today the other side of his face now has a little bit of the same. Hes not too fussy with eating as much, ive watched him eat and a couple times he takes it then sorta sits there for a second, shakes his head and swims off like something spooked him. Maybe pain/discomfort?

Heres the directions for the Tri-Sulfa:
"1 tablet per 40 liters. incase of severe infestation use 1 tablet per 20 liters. Repeat 3 days if necessary"

I have 110 liters, i used:
Day1: 3 tablets
Day2: 3 tablets
Day3: 4 tablets

Should i do another 5 or 6 tablet, day? (night now)

EDIT: Actually hes doing that head shake thing randomly, im going to use up the rest of the meds and do another 6 tablet dose now.

The Cardinal with the white squiggly line still has it, the exact same position, Internal worms/parasites? Maybe thats whats bothering my Pandurini...Another medication, lol?... All sorts of hell is breaking loose in my tank :/

My Pandurini i cant tell if its getting better or worse. It looks tissue-y, ive noticed today the other side of his face now has a little bit of the same. Hes not too fussy with eating as much, ive watched him eat and a couple times he takes it then sorta sits there for a second, shakes his head and swims off like something spooked him. Maybe pain/discomfort?

Heres the directions for the Tri-Sulfa:
"1 tablet per 40 liters. incase of severe infestation use 1 tablet per 20 liters. Repeat 3 days if necessary"

I have 110 liters, i used:
Day1: 3 tablets
Day2: 3 tablets
Day3: 4 tablets

Should i do another 5 or 6 tablet, day? (night now)

EDIT: Actually hes doing that head shake thing randomly, im going to use up the rest of the meds and do another 6 tablet dose now.

The Cardinal with the white squiggly line still has it, the exact same position, Internal worms/parasites? Maybe thats whats bothering my Pandurini...Another medication, lol?... All sorts of hell is breaking loose in my tank :/

Can you get a better pic of the tetra? I'm still thinking it's a reaction to the meds. Hoping I guess. If it's worms the white line should move.

Just check the dosing for triple sulpha, if it's every 3 days you sound near the limit for the tank.

After this, well could try a dip such as salt and see if that can help. I've haven't done much with dips but have had luck with salt seeming to dislodge a chunk of white infection and clean it up.

I tried to take another pic of the tetra with the worm looking thing. It looks the same quality cause the tetra hangs out at the back.

My Panduri's mouth is clean now, no white fuzzy except a little on his sides (his other side showed up with the same) and on his dorsal fin.

But, now hes bloated and its not from food im pretty sure. He also has a very long, mostly clear string of poo.

Ill try and get some better pics

I tried to take another pic of the tetra with the worm looking thing. It looks the same quality cause the tetra hangs out at the back.

My Panduri's mouth is clean now, no white fuzzy except a little on his sides (his other side showed up with the same) and on his dorsal fin.

But, now hes bloated and its not from food im pretty sure. He also has a very long, mostly clear string of poo.

Ill try and get some better pics

Ok, I'd try some water changes and see if that helps. The triple sulphu is probably knocking all bacteria around, not just the infection. That sounds good on the mouth, is the stuff on the sides the same as was on his mouth?

The Pandurini doesnt look good now. Hes breathing fast/constantly compared to the other, and hanging at the top of the tank, staying in one spot, not moving around so much. I also caught him dashing off and rubbing the sides of his head? i think, on a piece of wood about 5 times. Hes also bloated and twitches sometimes. I thought to kill bacteria the temp should be like 28-30 degrees? Should i feed him brine shrimp or anything even though hes bloated? He cant be bloated from food cause atm hes eating slowly and only takes like 2-3 bites.

I did a 30% WC 2 days ago, should i do another?

You can see the clear poo. The brightest white dot behind his eye, infront of the blue patch is the infection. it also goes in a straight line below that white dot, like a cut, but that seems to be cleaner now:
http://i.imgur.com/4jZ7BYw.jpg

The cut is actually a whole, where in it, i can see movement of his gills working

Back
Top Bottom