Cardinal Tetras dying recently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asinorum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I currently have a 20g high freshwater aquarium. I aquascraped with several live plants, Malaysian driftwood, lava rock and a black sand bottom.

I'm using a 150w Hydor heater, Fluval C4 HOB filter rated at 264 GPH. I do 15-20% water changes every two weeks.

It was stocked with eight Cardinal Tetras, three Nerite snails, and three Amano shrimp.

I've had the tank going for approximately seven months now with absolutely zero issues. My plants were growing well, the fish were eating (I feed them Omega One color flakes) and swimming and none of the occupants had any signs of disease.

That all changed within the last two weeks. I noticed one day, after I turned on the aquarium lights, that one of the tetras had died overnight. It was a larger tetra, so I just attributed it to natural causes. However, over the course of these last two weeks, five more tetras have died. I have two tetras left now.

I've checked the fish for obvious signs of disease, with negative results. I've found that the fish will randomly die at all periods of the day, at night, during the afternoon, just whenever.

I haven't been able to locate the issue, so I'm asking you all for some advice. What gives?

My tank parameters are as follows:

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: <5 ppm

In my filter I use: filter floss, carbon, purigen, and ceramic bio c-nodes.

I also decided to test my GH and KH. I'm not exactly sure how the values impact the water, but they are as follows:

GH: 8-9 (~143-161)

KH: 1-3 (~17-53)

Just in case I wasn't clear, only the Tetras have been affected. All the invertebrates have been healthy.

I can't think of anything else to add

You should get them treated and quarantined as soon as possible without stressing them. It is probably something contagious. The fish will die if they are not treated or quarantined, but they can't spread it to the invertebrates. Good luck and welcome.

I can quarantine them in a spare tank. However, since I don't know what disease is, what should I treat them with?

I think there are some things that can treat most common diseases, and a little bit of salt might help relieve stress so they can recover faster.

Back
Top Bottom