Cardinal tetras with ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
last weekend i redid my 29 gallon and set it up with drift wood and live plants. i have 10 cardinal tetras and a pair of german blue rams. i am working out of town during the week and i come home friday to find a couple tetras with white spots, ive had in my old 65 a few years back and used ick attack to get rid of it and it worked. i am not a fan of using chemicals at all and wanted to try the raised temp and salt treatment but recall reading on here somewhere that tetras dont do well with that treatment. also read that plants cant handle the salt. my rams seem to be fine but i want to treat everyone to be sure. can anyone help out here?

I have neon tetras and black neon tetras. I had an outbreak of ich after introducing 2 panda cory's. I was going to do the heat/salt treatment, and I actually added 4 tablespoons of salt initially (pre-dissolved), but I decided not to add anymore because of the cory's so I just turned up the heat gradually to 88 degrees and left it there for about 12 days. I did 2 pwc's and vacuumed during the process but I never added anymore salt. The ich cleared and I've not had any signs of it for weeks. My tetra's did great through the entire process, as did my DG. I lost both cory's, one died 2 days after I bought it, and the other died the other day. I think something was wrong with them, the one that survived never would school with the peppered cory's. IME the heat alone will work. Try it first without salt. If it doesn't work you can always try adding salt. Be sure to include an air stone and allow for extra splashing from your filter if you can. The high temps lowers the oxygen level.
Good luck!

Well I got the temp up to about 86-87, just in time to go to work for the week, hope all is well while im gone.

So I got home last night and the temp is still up, means the gf kept a keen eye. All fish are spot free and seem to be doing very well. Will be doing a PWC and vac and letting it continue to be hot for another week or so, fingers crossed.

So I got home last night and the temp is still up, means the gf kept a keen eye. All fish are spot free and seem to be doing very well. Will be doing a PWC and vac and letting it continue to be hot for another week or so, fingers crossed.

YEAH:dance:! Happy for ya!

Well it's been a couple weeks now and all looks well. No signs of ich so I think it's good. Just added some more plants and some panda corys so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any signs, if it's gonna happen again its gonna be soon.

Back
Top Bottom