Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cardinals with Neon Tetra Disease?

8 days ago I purchased 7 cardinal tetras, 3 amanos, and 2 mystery snails. Since, 4 cardinals and 2 amanos have died, my betta also died, and another cardinal is about to die.

Here is how many died on which days after purchasing them.

Day 2: 1 cardinal 2 amano
Day 3: 2 cardinals
Day 4: 1 cardinal, betta
Day 6: 1 cardinal
Day 8: 1 cardinal about to die

The tank is 10 gallons and about 5 weeks old, and all of the parameters test perfectly. The only inhabitant was the betta, who was living in it since the day I set it up, since I had to take apart his old tank to set up the new one. I did frequent water changes, daily doses of stability and prime, and frequent monitoring of tank to ensure he was ok. Iíve had him for around a year and he was perfectly happy and healthy until I purchased the new fish... By day three I could tell he was going to die and was barely moving and he died the next day.

The sick cardinals get pale patches on their bodies and isolate themselves from the others before dying. Iíve been out of the house most of the week and have only been able to check the tank a couple times a day. Due to this, the dead fish get nibbled on or completely eaten by the snails and probably other fish, which Iím sure isnít helping anything. I pull out the fish when I can if I know theyíre going to die.

Iíve heard before that cardinals canít get neon tetra disease, but this to be exactly like it. Can anybody confirm is this is neon tetra disease or anything else? Iím going to call my LFS today to tell them theyíre selling diseased fish, and would like to give them the most accurate diagnosis. Iím really hoping they stop selling the sick fish and refund me my money...

Here is a picture of the sick one today. I pulled him out right after taking this picture to prevent him from dying in the tank.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Called my LFS and the guy on the phone said they wouldnít refund the cardinals or shrimp and that their tank of cardinals is healthy. I went into the store anyway and got a different person who gave me a full refund. I showed the picture attached here and a guy behind the counter said he saw some in their tank with that.. Another guy said theyíre medicating the entire rack with a ton of tanks including the cardinals. Iím rather displeased with the person on the phone who lied to me, but glad I went in anyway!

While there, they sold me some Malachite Green. Iíve never used it, but it appears to be for ick, which Iím not really confident is what these guys have. It also says in the bottle it is toxic to some tetras and it may permanently stain silicon, so Iím even more hesitant to put it in the tank. Anybody have experience using this?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anybody??
Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

On train but either NTD or bacterial infection. If a variety of symptoms - more like bacterial but they are similar.

You would be into furan 2 and metro antibiotics / ant-parasites. But at this stage may be too late.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quickly found a link as well.

http://www.petproductnews.com/Pet-Pr...Tetra-Disease/
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
On train but either NTD or bacterial infection. If a variety of symptoms - more like bacterial but they are similar.

You would be into furan 2 and metro antibiotics / ant-parasites. But at this stage may be too late.

Iíve currently got the 2 cardinals left and both of them currently appear healthy. Iím feeding them an antibiotic food that the store gave me, but no other treatment. Is it worth buying medication and waiting for it to arrive at this point?

Also, do you know if the tank is now contaminated? Iím hesitant with certain treatments since I have a bunch of plants. I hate that this happened so soon after I set the tank up :/
Old 09-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Antibiotic food sounds good - did they say what was in it?

Tank would be yes, unfortunately you would want to wait at least 2 weeks before trying other fish (and sadly more like a month).
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Antibiotic food sounds good - did they say what was in it?

Tank would be yes, unfortunately you would want to wait at least 2 weeks before trying other fish (and sadly more like a month).

They didnít say exactly what it was, just to feed it to the fish in the tank. They just scooped some flakes out of a big container for me and gave me a good bit of free food.

Iím fine waitingóI want to be on the safe side... If I donít dose medication, but wait a month, would the tank be safe at that point or would I still need to medicate? I hate to risk any issues with plants or tank stability by adding any chemicals.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not much to add other than a correction. All fish, including cardinals, can get NTD. Cardinals just seem to be more resistant to the pathogen but not totally immune.
It does appear to a bacterial infection and the area of infection does look similar to what NTD starts out looking like. But there are different strains of the pathogen that causes NTD. Sadly, the more common NTD pathogen has no cure to my knowledge and it is passed to other fish when the infected fish are eaten by healthy fish. If these fish are surviving and curing, then they probably don't have NTD but False Neon tetra Disease / Columnaris. You can read about it here: Real Or False Neon Tetra Disease? - Pet Product News - July 2014

Follow the treatment protocol for Columnaris to cure the fish.

Hope this helps
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The picture looks like classic saddleback disease..Columnaris.
Most are using furan2 and kannaplex together sometimes for for two full treatments.
I would euthanise any clearly ill looking fish first before treating...That is the protocol for columnaris I believe.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, cardinals, disease, neon, neon tetra, neon tetra disease, sea, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com