Carnival Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my tank fishless for at least a month now, and it's long been ready for fish. I just haven't been able to buy any yet.
However, just now, unexpectedly, my sister brought my nephew over to show me the new goldfish he won for me at a carnival (very sweet of him).
However, I was appalled with the conditions the fish was in. It came in a very small, cheap, plastic sandwich bag, and the water it was in was blue, because it was coloured. Could that be safe at all?
Plus my sister said something about the fish being in a cooler filled with ice..

Luckily, the fish looked okay when it arrived, so I got the tank ready for it, as I wanted to get it out of the bag. When I went to get the fish out, it jump out of the net and landed on the ground. My brother-in-law hurried and grabbed it up and put it into the fish tank. Now it's swimming in circles, which is the sure sign it won't make it.. :/

Goldfish are pretty hardy, so I wouldn't give up on it too quickly. Besides it probably hasn't seen a gallon of water to itself for some time and might be confused by all the space :).

How big is the tank?

Goldfish are pretty hardy, so I wouldn't give up on it too quickly. Besides it probably hasn't seen a gallon of water to itself for some time and might be confused by all the space :).

How big is the tank?
The tank is 20 gallons. I was getting my tank ready for neon tetras and glofish, so I don't have much room for this guy.
He's floating at the top of the tank a lot, after fighting to swim properly. I hope he makes it..

WoopAhhhh said:
The tank is 20 gallons. I was getting my tank ready for neon tetras and glofish, so I don't have much room for this guy.
He's floating at the top of the tank a lot, after fighting to swim properly. I hope he makes it..

Yeah, that tank is what a goldie needs alone. Sounds kinda like swim bladder disease (SBD), but given what its been thru (carny fodder that is) ya gotta wonder how any of them make it. Good luck and IMO, don't feel bad if it doesn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom